Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
took my son deer hunting >

took my son deer hunting

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

took my son deer hunting

Old 11-20-2011, 05:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default took my son deer hunting

I posted a couple weeks ago asking advice/opinions on the range with a .50 inline shooting a 250gr bullet w/60gr fffg Goex.

Took the boy hunting for the youth season opener yesterday, but stepped the powder charge up to 70gr fffg Goex.

We had one deer show itself, and the range was pushing it at about 90 yards, but I told him if he felt he could make a good shot go ahead and try. We were in a ground blind and I had a folding chair positioned so he could use the back as a rifle rest. When he finally got a good clear shot at a good angle he touched it off and the deer dropped in it's tracks!

Turned out it was a bit high, but it spined the deer and anchored it. Another round to the head ended it quickly.

Old 11-20-2011, 09:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats to your son! Nice harvest, glad he could connect...
Old 11-21-2011, 12:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

90 yards with open sights, that's good shooting. Although he should consider himself lucky he hit the deer so high. Lower and I think you would have been in for a long tracking job. Why not put a scope on that rifle for him?
Old 11-21-2011, 02:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by pluckit
90 yards with open sights, that's good shooting. Although he should consider himself lucky he hit the deer so high. Lower and I think you would have been in for a long tracking job. Why not put a scope on that rifle for him?
To be honest that particular rifle has problems. It will actually give tighter groups with open sights. I've tried a couple different scopes on it and I think there are problems either with the mount or the barrel. It will shoot more consistently with open sights, within "minute of deer" but not great by my standards.
I didn't plan on hunting that blind, and expected to get him much closer to a deer, but things didn't work out the way I planned.
Yes, he was lucky to a large extent, but the weak link wasn't his ability, it was the rifle's performance.

I'm thinking of getting him his own rifle next summer, probably a youth model. The CVA Wolf with the shorter stock is my top candidate right now.

All my good rifles are sidelocks and not easily scoped, and the couple inlines I have aren't really all that good, so a new one he can call his own might be the answer.
Old 11-21-2011, 03:39 AM
Boone & Crockett

Congrats to your son. He got a nice deer.
Old 11-21-2011, 04:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congratulations to your son, great job.
Old 11-21-2011, 05:19 AM
Spike

Congrats to the little man.
Old 11-21-2011, 05:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats to your son! That's awesome!

Is that a tracking colar on the deer or is that the tag?

Is that a CVA Wolf?
Old 11-21-2011, 06:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by TNHagies
Congrats to your son! That's awesome!

Is that a tracking colar on the deer or is that the tag?

Is that a CVA Wolf?
That's the zip-tie I used to put the tag on the ear with.

It's a Traditions rifle, but I can't remember the model. Just the name Traditions is enough to keep me from ever buying another. I've had 3 rifles of that brand and all have fallen far below my expectations.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

Congratulations to the young man WABI.

Actually, a shot into the liver and just under the spine will anchor a deer just about every time. That seems to be a very common area of shot placement for young shooters. The eye and mind seem to want to naturally place the sight in the center of the body. It takes a conscious decision to move forward to just behind the shoulder.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.