Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New inline ??

Old 11-18-2011, 05:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

T/C Omega or the Triumph. If I could find one for the right price, I'd get one of the Savage guns that can shoot smokeless.
Old 11-18-2011, 05:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have watched all the posts about all the new MZ's. And all the available MZ's. I think I would have to take a look at another Knight LRH. I really haven't seen any rifle to top that rifle. But please keep in mind that I like a rifle to be on the heavy side. And the LRH is on the heavy side. I believe weight or heft in a rifle is important to field accuracy. And I worry little about carry weight.

However if money was not an issue then I woud look real close at one of the smokelss models being custom made on the Remington 700 action. Or possibly one of the NULA smokeless rifles. Those are the only two that I believe would out do my current Knight LRH(there are a few more custom options out there). Tom.
Old 11-18-2011, 07:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

For a dedicated muzzle loader the Triumph is the best so far, as I can tell, it shoots a wide range of bullets with a load that is heavy enough for a good trajectory. If you want a convertible to various cartridges my pick would be the Endeavor, its expensive but its the best I have ever owned and I have a bunch and have sold a bunch that are out dated.
If you are stuck on bolt actions there is the new Mountaineer, but a bolt action muzzleloader? a bolt cartridge gun is strong and accurate but with a breach plug gun a bolt just adds weight and wastes barrel length and the bolt does not add to the strength if you do not believe that just look at one closely and you can see that the design of the bolt is not to hold on to the barrel as it does in a cartridge gun.
The Omega is a fine gun I have one and like it and if price is a concern you might want to go that way. Personally I would avoid that foreign stuff if every one did this country would not be in trouble for jobs.
Old 11-18-2011, 07:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by lemoyne
but a bolt action muzzleloader? a bolt cartridge gun is strong and accurate but with a breach plug gun a bolt just adds weight and wastes barrel length and the bolt does not add to the strength if you do not believe that just look at one closely and you can see that the design of the bolt is not to hold on to the barrel as it does in a cartridge gun.

The actual bolt has absolutely nothing to do with making a bolt actoin rifle a stronger rifle(in an MZ). The strength is due to a solid one piece action(instead of a breaking open). And the strength is also attributable to the fact that a one piece stock is considerably stronger(not just stronger-but considerably stronger) than a two-piece stock.

Discussing whether one particular rifle is more accurate than another particular rifle is not the point when it comes to overall action strength.

There is no doubt a bolt action design is considerably stronger than a break action. And a strong action is inherently a more accurate action.

Please note I am not saying a break action rifle is not strong enough. It is strong enough. No doubt it is strong enough. However it simply is not nearly as strong as a bolt action rifle.

Just look at all the custom MZ mfrs. that make custom long range MZ's. How many are break actions vs. how many are bolts?? All are bolts that I know about. Please show me one that is not.

I am not looking for any argument here. But merely a discussion. If you think a break action is a stronger action then please supply some proof. Strong enough---yes I will agree. But stronger-no way, not even close. Tom.

Last edited by HEAD0001; 11-18-2011 at 08:04 PM.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:15 PM
Banned

And 99% of the bolt actions use smokeless powder, not low pressure black powder.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I did a two minute search of custom Long Range MZ makers. I found 7 in two minutes. Out of the seven my findings are as followed:I found four were smokeless and three were not. So almost half the custom makers are not made for smokeless.

Now I am sure these numbers can be refined. But not all the custom bolt action MZ's are designed for smokeless. What you said above is simply not true.

99% ARE NOT designed for Smokeless only. Below are the links to the three I found in about one or two minutes.

However please note. EVERY SINGLE ONE are BOLT ACTIONS!! Tom.

http://ultimatefirearms.com/

http://www.huntsinc.com/m-32-muzzleloaders.aspx

http://www.gunwerks.com/shooting-sys...ge-system.aspx
Old 11-18-2011, 08:39 PM
Banned

wow check out the prices. Rich mans toy.

Bolt action is dead when it comes to the mass market.
Old 11-18-2011, 10:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ya, some of those prices are crazy. I would have to sell my truck to afford a couple of them. I wonder what they think they are building to make some of the prices so high?? Tom.
Old 11-18-2011, 11:09 PM
Banned

I haven't a clue. That one for $7,000 just makes me laugh. Love to kick the person in the butt who came up with that price.

Even the cheap one for $2800 is a joke.
Old 11-19-2011, 05:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

For me personally I'm currently working on a .45 barrel for a TC Contender G2. It's a bit smaller and lighter than a lot of others and from what I can tell it's as accurate as any other ML on the market.
If I were going to buy a dedicated ML it would be the Mountaineer. Right now they're just out of my budget.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.