Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
In the field now...need advice for last day of BP >

In the field now...need advice for last day of BP

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

In the field now...need advice for last day of BP

Old 11-18-2011, 09:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default In the field now...need advice for last day of BP

I just stalked 6 does...within 20 yards. First time doing that on a windless day. Very cool. Lucky for those girls, it is not a doe day. My plan was to stalk the morning and then for the afternoon, climb a tree near where I saw a buck work a scrape late yesterday.*

Should I continue as planned, or hang in this area where I saw the does and hope a buck is following them? *None of them had their tails out.*

And yes, I am using my phone in the woods!!
Old 11-18-2011, 09:23 AM
mountaineer magic

deleted : no longer want to be on the forum

Last edited by mountaineer magic; 01-31-2012 at 07:13 AM.

Old 11-18-2011, 09:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

To be honest Chet, I do not know what phase we are in. I have not seen enough deer to make that determination. The scrape was in a swampy area and he did not visit until about 4:30 yesterday. It will take me awhile to get there, so I should go really soon if at all.

I am not stalking them anymore since they are moving downwind. Too risky. For now I am just sticking in the area where they spent the most time. Been about an hour but no buck

Congrats to your wife!! By default those point are ours since you and her are one.
Old 11-18-2011, 10:02 AM
mountaineer magic

Last edited by mountaineer magic; 01-31-2012 at 07:13 AM.

Old 11-18-2011, 10:05 AM
Banned

using your phone while hunting in the woods. tisk tisk. what a little yuppie hunter. Dont spill your starbucks on your loafers! LOL.

I say run a bullet through a doe! Better to come home with some meat for the table.
Old 11-18-2011, 10:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not a doe day, dummy.

The phone is nice. Main thing I use it for is as a pocket-sized topo map. And I usually don't have service out here, but for whatever reason I do today. But bite me, anyway.
Old 11-18-2011, 10:55 AM
Typical Buck

I am near Roanoke and the bucks are in rut here. I watched a nice 8 ptr chasing a doe on Monday.

As for using a phone in the woods; don't do it. I did last year trying to follow the Virginia Tech football game and missed a chance at a deer with my bow. At least the Hokies won.
Old 11-18-2011, 10:55 AM
mountaineer magic

Last edited by mountaineer magic; 01-31-2012 at 07:12 AM.

Old 11-18-2011, 11:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

7.62NATO

Can't say for sure where you are but in Craig (just north of Roanoke) they are rutting hard now. If that's the case where you are, anywhere in the woods is a good spot. Find a hot doe, the bucks will be close behind.

Good luck man!
Old 11-18-2011, 12:04 PM
Dominant Buck

I would stick with the does.. but then a good scrape is a good place to watch. Hard to decide. I was thinking of taking my I pad with me. At least I could surf the net, play games, take pictures, email... just kidding.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.