HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   original disc conversion question (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/353806-original-disc-conversion-question.html)

steviebiggun 11-17-2011 09:35 PM

original disc conversion question

Hey,

I have a knight original disc rifle, it use to use the orange primer jacket. and then I purchased the extreme conversion kit ( the red primer jacket), and converted my orignal disc to a disc extreme. but I am getting tired of having to order the red primer jacket. will the NON FPJ non-plasctic jacket conversion kit work on my rifle ? if so, how well do they work.
thanks again, Steve

cayugad 11-18-2011 05:41 AM

Yes.. on my original disc I have the lehigh breech plug, and then a disc extreme bolt with the Lehigh adapter on the front of the bolt. All you do is drop a primer in the adapter and close the bolt. After you fire, open the bolt and turn the rifle to the side and the primer calls out. In hundreds of rounds, I have had only one primer that would not come out. I had to get a pocket knife and pull it backward into the adapter better. But it was a primer that was very old that had been sitting in a plastic straight line capper I never use. I was shooting, found that straight line capper in the box and decided to shoot off the fifteen primers in it. And they had to be a couple years old and had been banging around in that shooting bag for years now.

Sabotloader helped to set me up. And I am sure he will see this thread and correct comment on it also.

a1smokepole 11-18-2011 02:21 PM

the lehigh (knight) plug converison works very well in your gun you may have to shim the primer pocket for blow back but its worth the time it takes to do this and after you will not have to clean the bolt it will be very clean even after 30 rounds but you may just wipe it down

steviebiggun 11-18-2011 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by a1smokepole (Post 3878108)
the lehigh (knight) plug converison works very well in your gun you may have to shim the primer pocket for blow back but its worth the time it takes to do this and after you will not have to clean the bolt it will be very clean even after 30 rounds but you may just wipe it down

Where can I purchase one of these? How do I do shimming of the primer pocket, if need be ?

thanks, Steve

HEAD0001 11-18-2011 05:57 PM

I can't speak to the shimming. However I just put one of the conversions on my Knight LRH and it worked perfectly. I am very pleased with it. However I did not do it to do away with the discs. I did it to shoot the BH-209 powder. I actually like the red discs.

The system works fantastic on my rifle. I have had absolutely zero blowback or dirt of any sort to show up in my action area after I put the breechplug in. The seal was perfect.

I bought mine directly from Knight. Tom.

ronlaughlin 11-18-2011 06:02 PM

NFPJ breech plug & adapter

The simplest way to shim the primer is to use an o-ring. A size that has worked for me is 1 mm thick, with a 4.5 mm inside diameter. I think item # 9262K611 is what fits into the primer pocket of the breech plug. These o-ring are not permanent, and need to be replaced every 25 or so shots. A more permanent solution is possible, if one uses steel washers, but this requires fitting.

a1smokepole 11-18-2011 06:06 PM

go up to ace hardware and pickup some stainless steel washers #3 or #4 get a bolt that fites the washers and get a nut put the washer on the bolt and take nut and tighting with washer centered on bolt put bolt in drill then take a file and run the washer on the file make the first one were it will go in the primer pocket ez then take your washer and lay it flat on file rube back and forth to get the thickness you what I use only CCI 209m primers with about .004 crush on the primer not all gun are the same on thickness on the washers have to fit it for your gun

sabotloader 11-18-2011 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by steviebiggun (Post 3877858)
Hey,

I have a knight original disc rifle, it use to use the orange primer jacket. and then I purchased the extreme conversion kit ( the red primer jacket), and converted my orignal disc to a disc extreme. but I am getting tired of having to order the red primer jacket. will the NON FPJ non-plasctic jacket conversion kit work on my rifle ? if so, how well do they work.
thanks again, Steve

Steve i would suggest that you get the new NFPJ kit from Knight or Gander Mnt. and give it a try in your Original DISC.

It will probably fit just fine. Because of tolerance differences in Knight rifles, and because of this some fit better than others. For the most part most have fit very well. It works best with a Win 209 primer and even if the it is not an exact fit - it will probably be cleaner than the FPJ has been.

If it is not a perfect fit it is fairly easy to fix it with stainless shims in the primer pocket. I would stay away from the 'o' ring thing as much as possible... that is just a tempory fix at best.

The kit consists of two parts since you already have the Extreme conversion bolt. A primer adapter to go in the nose of your bolt and new breech plug with a vent liner installed in the nose of the brrech plug.

You can see the primer adapter in the is picture as it hold the nose of this problematic Knight bolt...

This is a pictorial of Kit installed in an Original DISC

If you go for this project and it does or might need shimmed let me know and we can get it done fairly easily...