Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
How little is not enough? >

How little is not enough?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

How little is not enough?

Old 11-17-2011, 11:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm hardly a fan of randy's, and he never came into my thoughts in this thread.

That load will have barely more than 700fpe at the muzzle. Pretty sad at 50yds. I don't shoot minimum loads that will do the job, and require a perfect shot.

A load should be to suit the animal. Not the shooter.

You're just blowing hot air again chaded. Bringing up stuff that has nothing to do with the topic in a weak attempt to make me look bad.

You might want to read the thread again, and see who else thinks the load is weak.

A good hunter will respect the animal enough to use a humane load. Not the weakest load that might get the job done.

You might get enough experience someday to debate with me. You aren't even close right now. I've noticed when you have no point you through out some personal stuff at me. Grow up and just stick to the topic.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

You cant quarantee 100% that the shot will be a perfect one, nobody can. 50yds is still a good poke and Deer are tough. I doubt that you'd get a complete pass through with 50grs at 50yds.
We owe it to the Animals that we Hunt that there Humanely Harvested. I dont know the Ballistics on a 50gr Load with your Sabot but you'll need at least 800ft lbs to do a good job on taking the Deer out. I know of no one who Hunts Deer with a 50gr Load. If your out there what's your story........
Old 11-17-2011, 11:40 AM
Typical Buck

Oh my point you may have missed, but look again and what I said was that load will kill at 50 yards and I based it on witnessing my father in law shoot a deer and kill it without any issues with 60 grains. Which I didn't think would be much different than 50. My point is I saw it with my own 2 eyes in real life and didn't read about it somewhere and pass it off as absolute truth. I have no desire in gaining experience in reading things off the internet to debate with you. When you want to talk about real hunts and not simulated ones I may (but probably won't) debate with you.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

That would work but two 30 grain pellets would be more efficent and even that would work better with 50/40 200grain bullet like the 50/40 200grain XTP.
Old 11-17-2011, 12:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

I wanted to use 50 grains of powder behind a 222gr powerbelt aerotip. Would the 50 grains be enough for that bullet to kill a deer no more than 50 yards? The stand she hunts out of during bow has max of a 50 yard shot.
That load is going to give you something around 1300 fps at the muzzle and 800 fpe - just fine for 50 - 75 yards on a whitetail
Old 11-17-2011, 12:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

50 is enough, 60grs of loose better...Recently I sighted in friends muzzleloader and started with 80grs FFF Goex and a 240gr Hornady XTP, recoil was minimal...

You could let her shoot 50-60grs, the lighter 240 XTP and bump it to 70grs or so to hunt...She'll never know the difference in the field and I think all will agree that 70grs is "enough"...

Remember, the 45/70??? 405gr bullet and 70grs black powder, killed many, many buffalo...Deer ain't buffalo...

I've killed several with 50grs FFF and a .40 flintlock...
Old 11-17-2011, 12:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by nchawkeye

I've killed several with 50grs FFF and a .40 flintlock...
There was a guy in our group (has since passed away) that hunted for about 20 years with 50g BP and a .490 PRB. He killed a ton of deer with that load and I can't recall him ever losing one. That being said, all his shots were 50yrds and under.

If it was me, I'd prefer somethign other than a Powerbelt but with that charge, you don't have the problems with them that you do at higher charges.
Old 11-17-2011, 12:26 PM
Banned

I'd prefer 80gr.
Old 11-17-2011, 12:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by TNHagies
There was a guy in our group (has since passed away) that hunted for about 20 years with 50g BP and a .490 PRB. He killed a ton of deer with that load and I can't recall him ever losing one. That being said, all his shots were 50yrds and under.

If it was me, I'd prefer somethign other than a Powerbelt but with that charge, you don't have the problems with them that you do at higher charges.
Lets not compare a PRB to a 223gr Powerbelt. A world of difference in terminal performance. Also, a world of difference between the OP's wife and an experiences rifle hunter.

No disrespect, but the question was asked. I consider more than the load. The hunter is important when a minimal load is being used.

Use a better bullet, or more powder, and I wouldn't have said a thing.
Old 11-17-2011, 12:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by chaded
Oh my point you may have missed, but look again and what I said was that load will kill at 50 yards and I based it on witnessing my father in law shoot a deer and kill it without any issues with 60 grains. Which I didn't think would be much different than 50. My point is I saw it with my own 2 eyes in real life and didn't read about it somewhere and pass it off as absolute truth. I have no desire in gaining experience in reading things off the internet to debate with you. When you want to talk about real hunts and not simulated ones I may (but probably won't) debate with you.
One of the problems with forums is you don't know or see who you're talking too. You think you have someone figured out by reading a few posts. Think about this.

I'm old enough to be your grandfather. I had been shooting and hunting for 36 years, before you were even born!

You need to learn a little respect.

I've grown tired of this aggravation. I'm going to stick to the few forums that don't have posters like you and a few others on it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.