Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Camping Gear

Old 11-16-2011, 05:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
Yeah thats another thing muley, how early should i get up there?
Lots of time to work that out.
Old 11-16-2011, 05:04 PM
Banned

true. I figured at least a couple days early. I dont want to haul everything up the day before the hunt, set up camp, and then have to wake up early the next morning lol.
Old 11-16-2011, 05:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by cayugad
I did a lot of camping in my life. Too much I think sometimes. Since space and weight is not a factor the cot is OK.. otherwise I would say, loose the cot and save some space. Those ground pads are real comfortable if you take the rocks out from under you. And a super warm sleeping bag might not sound necessary, but believe me.. when you get cold, you'd give up your gun for a good warm sleeping bag. I would take the extra warm one and then a good blanket. So if the temps are real warm, just use the blanket, but as it cools at night, that extra warm sleeping bag will sure be good.

I use a canvas sleeping bag with a flannel liner and of course its insulated. Its made so that if you don't want to put up a tent, you can just use the bag. Its nice and comfortable in there. I've camped in -30 below and even though the bag was rated for extreme cold, I had a wool blanket inside with me, my wool socks on, and was still cold. Just because it says -40 below, it will be comfortable at O degrees as well.

That is a nice tent. And a good tent is the key to comfort. When I went with friends we had a canvas wall tent with a little wood stove in it. 8x12 foot that we could stand in, and play cards in. But when I went alone I had a two man mountain tent that has a floor in it, and it was very comfortable for myself and my large labrador retriever. That tent should be real comfortable, except when it rains all day and you sit in it all day in the damp and cold.

I have a friend that uses an extra large ground blind for his tent. He's kind of crazy but he says it keeps the rain and snow off him and most important, the wind. He then uses a ground pad and a real good sleeping bag. He camps all the time in that goofy blind of his.
That was my thoughts too. Better to have a bag that will keep me warm no matter what, and then make adjustments if it's warm out.

Which is what's good about Cabelas. I can test my gear out in the summer, and make an exchange if I get the wrong bag.

How does Cabelas do that? What do they do with the stuff returned?
Old 11-16-2011, 05:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Cabela's about one hour away from my home. They sell alot of camping gear there.

If I were you I would wait until just after X-Mas and cruise their Bargain Cave page on their web site. Cabela's normally puts a bunch of camping gear in the Bargain Cave just after X-Mas.

I understand what you mean by being mobile. We had a very nice base camp at 10,500 feet on Electric Mountain just outside of Paonia, CO. But we hunted a good bit at close to 12,000. When the weather was decent we had a small tent like the one you are looking at. And we stayed a night or two at the higher elevations where we were hunting.

Good luck on your hunt. I wish my leg would allow me to hunt there again.

I am looking at a used motor home. There is a very large park on the other side of Electric Mountain where I can park my motor home if I get it. We are thinking about another elk hunt out there. The park is large enough to where I can hunt long range with a rifle right from the camp. So I may get to go back one day. But I don't think I will ever get to hunt that early MZ season again. The one in Mid September. Man those bugling bulls were fun!! Tom.

Last edited by HEAD0001; 11-16-2011 at 05:15 PM.
Old 11-16-2011, 05:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

true. I figured at least a couple days early. I dont want to haul everything up the day before the hunt, set up camp, and then have to wake up early the next morning lol.
Haul???????

I'm camping next to my Jeep.
Old 11-16-2011, 05:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter

How does Cabelas do that? What do they do with the stuff returned?

They sell it in the Bargain Cave. I have bought some really nice stuff(returned camping items) in the Bargain Cave. Tom.

Last edited by HEAD0001; 11-16-2011 at 05:16 PM.
Old 11-16-2011, 05:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Haul???????

I'm camping next to my Jeep.
Well the camper we gotta haul to a spot. Hopefully we can get into a decent area. Just depends what we end up getting.
Old 11-16-2011, 05:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Head......................As you may remember from my posts. I'm not a trophy hunter. I won't be going above timberline for the big bulls. I'll be looking for a herd, and try to call in a horny young bull looking for a lady that will have him. I just carry cow calls.

I won't be disappointed if I don't get one. I'm past that. I just want to have a fun hunt and enjoy the experience. Meat in the freezer is a bonus.
Old 11-16-2011, 05:23 PM
Banned

i'll bring a bugle muley.
Old 11-16-2011, 05:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well the camper we gotta haul to a spot. Hopefully we can get into a decent area. Just depends what we end up getting.
We'll know more next summer after I check out the area. Are you getting the camper for sure?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.