Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Bench Shooting Rest? >

Bench Shooting Rest?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Bench Shooting Rest?

Old 11-12-2011, 04:40 PM
Typical Buck

Default Bench Shooting Rest?

I'm thinking about improving what I have for bench shooting. Currently, I use a two bag system where I filled the bags up with rice.

It's OK but not great. I've used a lead sled but had issues with it knocking scopes off.

Any suggestions?
Old 11-12-2011, 04:58 PM
Banned

My lead sled weighs 23lbs, i never found the need to add 50lbs of lead to it, never had any scope issues other than a cheap bushnell scope taking a poop after the rear glass lens came loose from the glue.

The other rest i use is the caldwell tack driver bag rest and a wool sock stuffed with beans to put under the rear of the rifle stock. Just as accurate as my lead sled to be honest but theres still always room for shooter error with it.
Old 11-12-2011, 04:59 PM
Typical Buck

I use a Lead Sled with two 25 lb iron weights. I have read that magnum rifles can be a problem for Lead Sleds but hadn't heard blackpowder guns being a problem. What do you mean that it knocked the scope off? Did it change the POI?
Old 11-12-2011, 05:14 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by ADVWannabee
I use a Lead Sled with two 25 lb iron weights. I have read that magnum rifles can be a problem for Lead Sleds but hadn't heard blackpowder guns being a problem. What do you mean that it knocked the scope off? Did it change the POI?
I used the Leadsled once when my buddy had just bought one. We loaded it up with 50 lbs and stared shooting. The steel rings on my 7mm Weatherby were destroyed and the bases on my Omega were shaken loose.

I know many here use and like the sled but I'm a little gun shy ( pun intended ) after my first experience. I'm just looking for ideas that work for others. I went cheap the first time and I'm ready to upgrade.
Old 11-12-2011, 05:16 PM
Dominant Buck

I use a cheap plastic Caldwell rest. It seems to work just fine for me. I also have Caldwell bags (for hunting) that are filled with rice. Both of them are good rests. The thing I have changed in my shooting regiment is the manner I address the rifle.

There was a show about snipers and they showed how they held their rifles on a rest. I started to copy what they were doing and it has improved my groups a great deal I believe.
Old 11-12-2011, 05:25 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
My lead sled weighs 23lbs, i never found the need to add 50lbs of lead to it, never had any scope issues other than a cheap bushnell scope taking a poop after the rear glass lens came loose from the glue.

The other rest i use is the caldwell tack driver bag rest and a wool sock stuffed with beans to put under the rear of the rifle stock. Just as accurate as my lead sled to be honest but theres still always room for shooter error with it.
X2 on the lead sled no need for the extra weight
Old 11-12-2011, 05:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

Josmund

I really do not like the lead sled either. I have llooked at them but just find no interest.

I use a Caldwell rest on the front called 'The Rock' and rear sand bag.

http://www.bing.com/shopping/the-roc...rock&FORM=HURE

Rabbit ear bag...

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Rabbi...h-All+Products

Last edited by sabotloader; 11-12-2011 at 05:42 PM.
Old 11-12-2011, 06:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I still like bags... I would swap the rice for sand, and use whatever's handy to add height. For a commercial rest, I think I can like sabotloader's choice of The Rock the most. One of the most helpful things I do, is to pad my stock with a sweatshirt sleeve, stocking hat, or similar. Helps absorb movement from your head, breathing, heartbeat..
Old 11-12-2011, 06:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

I shot bench competition for many years and I have looked for a built up rest like the lead sled that I could get the same groups off of and I have tried many. I have found nothing that will equal a supported front bag with several bags with a squeeze bag on top for the back.
Old 11-12-2011, 07:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

For the money it is pretty tough to beat the Caldwell "Rock". I also like a tall rabbit eared rear bag filled with sand. I also have a very heavy BR front rest. But it simply is not practical for most shooters, and most shooting. And it is stupid heavy, and very costly. I would not recommened it for the average guy.

The Lead Sled is OK for short range work. And for light recoiling rifles. But for long range work it simply does not allow the rifle to recoil naturally. And field shooting POI will change(long range shooting-not100 or 150 yard shooting). Although POI will also change at 100 yards for the heavier recoiling rifles.

I have no use for a leadsled. I want to learn how to shoot. If not I would simply buy a vise and lock the rifle down. Or shoot an extremely heavy rifle that moves very little. Tom.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.