Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Today started like any other day >

Today started like any other day

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Today started like any other day

Old 11-12-2011, 02:57 PM
Typical Buck

Default Today started like any other day

Today started like any other day. Or did it? I woke up at 7:15 am like I do most Saturdays. No, I didn't go hunting though I wish I had. I immediately looked out the window to see what is in the field in front of my house. I have a blind in the field and I have a stand in the woods. So what did I see? I only saw 6 does and a nice 6 or 8 ptr.

Yes, if I had been in the blind I would have gotten a shot at a very nice buck. He was chasing one of the does around and making the others nervous. I ran downstairs, grabbed my blackpowder gun and looked out the front window to see him go into the woods. A couple minutes later he comes back out so I run out the back door and around the side of the house. That worked for me one year and I shot a deer in the exact same spot. It was not to be today. He was up in the field by the time I come around. He ended up chasing the doe into the cow field next to my house. The other does finally wondered off as well. I wasn't about to shoot one of them with a good buck running around.

So my wife and I started to work fixing gravy, biscuits, eggs and Treat meat. I look out the kitchen window and see 2 does in the cow field headed into the woods behind my house. My house has a field in front, woods to one side and behind and a cow field to the other side. I got the rifle and got to the basement back door but the deer decided to go off into the cow field.

So my wife and I ate and went to town to run errands. We get back and I mow the yard. Finally about 3:30 pm I start getting ready and head to my stand. I haven't been to my stand this year and was anxious to check it out. I have been hunting the blind with my wife trying to get her a deer.

I climb the ladder, clip my harness into the strap on the tree and climb into the stand. I pull my rifle up, get comfortable and put the cap in my gun. I hadn't even had 2 minutes to enjoy this beautiful evening in the woods when I heard something across the creek. I figured it was a squirell but almost immediatley see a deer. Just as quickly I see the antlers. I could tell it was a pretty good deer for a 4 ptr and decide I was going to take him. He was walking uphill along the opposite side of the creek from me. I picked an opening in the brush and waited on the deer. He took a few steps and got into the opening. I put the crosshairs on him and took the shoot.

The smoke obliterated my view for a few seconds and once it cleared enough I saw him run maybe 5 or 6 steps and stop. I thought for sure I must have missed as he just stood there looking around. After a few seconds I saw his head droop and I knew I had hit him hard. A few more seconds and he turned back toward me and fell over and expired quickly.

As a little background, I got my Knight Revolution more than a few years ago to hunt with my cousin in Ohio. It was shotgun only there and I didn't have or need a suitable shotgun so I got the Knight. I missed a doe at 55 yards with open sites. Not 5 minutes later I drilled another doe that was practically standing in the same footprints of the one I missed.

Then 2 years ago, I hit a nice 4 ptr at 84 yards with open sites and he got away. So I scoped the gun before last season and have been aching to get a shot with the scope. I didn't get a shot last year but it happened today.

The deer was at 61 yards (GPS verified). I hit him in the right area just a little high. It exited lower and back on the far side as I was in an elevated position from the deer. I am using two 50 gr Pyrodex pellets, 777 shotgun primers and Hornady 250 sabotted bullets. This gun is an excellent shooter and will put shots touching so I was anxious to see it perform in the real world. I am quite happy with the results.

Now while I was field dressing the deer in the woods behind the house, my wife came running out to tell me that a monster buck chased a doe across the field in front of the house just past the blind. Her uncle told me years ago that you can't shoot the big ones if you don't pass the little ones. Guess he was right. But I am happy anyway. I had a tough season last year with only 1 shot and was anxious to get one with this gun.

Oh, and to beat all, while I have the deer hanging under the back porch cutting the meat off the bone, we had a deer cross the fence by the cow field and stop 30 yards away and look at us. Then it turned and ran back into the cow field. We are covered up with deer this year and I really hope to get my wife a deer (she missed 1 so far) as well as score at least 1 more for me. I hope the rest of you have a good as year as we are having so far.

Sorry for the long post, I am just amped from seeing so many deer today and finally scoring one with my Knight. Without further delay, here is the deer and the rifle. Now to get my wife one with he TC Encore Prohunter.
Old 11-12-2011, 03:14 PM
Typical Buck

Great story w/ an even better ending! That really is a good looking animal; what's he weigh?
Old 11-12-2011, 03:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Congrats on a great hunt!
Old 11-12-2011, 03:20 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by 3seasons
Great story w/ an even better ending! That really is a good looking animal; what's he weigh?
I don't have any way to weigh them and don't know that I am much of a judge either. He is a pretty good deer for a 4 ptr. He was dang heavy dragging up out of the hollow.

I am guessing he is maybe 2 1/2 years old. We had a young 8 ptr in the back yard that wasn't any bigger than this a few weeks ago.
Old 11-12-2011, 03:48 PM
Dominant Buck

Nice story, great pictures, and a beautiful rifle. Glad to know it did the job, Congratulations on a nice buck.
Old 11-12-2011, 04:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thank you for the nice tale. We were able to share your excitement.
Old 11-12-2011, 07:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Congratulations, good story.
Old 11-12-2011, 07:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

It is time to do the back strap boogie!! Tom.
Old 11-12-2011, 08:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great story and pics!!!! Besides on the weight question, they all weigh the same in the skillet!!!!!!!!
Old 11-13-2011, 01:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congratulations nice buck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.