Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Blackhorn 209 testing in the Remington Genesis >

Blackhorn 209 testing in the Remington Genesis

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Blackhorn 209 testing in the Remington Genesis

Old 11-13-2011, 10:04 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Blackhorn 209 testing in the Remington Genesis

After trying the Blackhorn 209 powder in my Knight Disc yesterday, and having some "difficulties" on a couple occasions, form members were kind enough to offer suggestions which might solve the problems. Not wanting to experience the same problems in the Genesis .50 caliber I took to heart what some experienced BlackHorn shooters suggested.

The first suggestion was not to swab the bore with alcohol. But instead with a dry clean patch, swab the bore to remove the oils left in the bore. After that they then suggested I pop two primers through the bore and then swab again with another dry patch. Which I did. I was amazed at the amount of fouling two primers put into the barrel. I was then told to load the rifle like normal and just go shoot and not to worry about swabbing.

So out to the range I went. I had some of the 300 grain Hornady XTPs .452 and HPH 24 sabots still in the shooting bag from yesterday, so I decided that would be the load. I knew the rifle was sighted in at 50 yards after my last range session where I experienced other problems.

So with the target at 50 yards. I loaded up 100 grains of BlackHorn 209 (another suggestion) and a 300 grain XTP with a Winchester W209 primer, off a bench rest, squeezed the trigger and ..

primer went snap, then gun went BOOM!

The delay was enough where I actually started to raise up off the stock when the Blackhorn 209 went off. This was not what I expected to start my shooting session. The first hit was a little to the right of the bulls eye but that could have been caused by my shift on the stock when I heard the primer ignite but not the powder.

So we loaded up and shot 2-5 with out any problems what so ever. In fact the ignition was like a center fire rifle. And the recoil was moderate to heavy. About what I expected. Why shot #4 strayed.. I have no idea. In fact 2&3 were touching. I expected #4 in the same place, I was that sure of my address and trigger pull on the rifle. Then #5 went basically with the 2&3 hit. So over all the group was doing nice.

Then #6 came along. I loaded like normal and I was making sure to compress the charge. And I mean I compressed the charges until there was no more compress in that powder. Six did the same as one. Primer snapped and then BOOM! I must have moved off the rifle as it hit where number one did.

I then decided to lower the charge to 90 grains of Blackhorn 209. I shot this five shot group..

I was really concentrating on my trigger pull and follow through. So it appears that the Genesis likes a stronger charge. Maybe next time I will kick it up to 110 grains of BlackHorn. Do you think that would be a good idea?

Being bored with paper I walked down range and set up some paint cans. The range finder said they were 109 yards away.

I also decided to shoot 100 grains of BlackHorn and the XTP because while I had two hangfires, I do think that load was grouping better. And seeing that it was almost dead on at 50 yards... I figured there would be a four inch drop at 100 yards. I marked my point of aim. The rifle fired perfect but the can never fell over.

Looking through the scope I could not see my hit. Could I have missed? Sure I could of. I'm human. So we hiked down there. When I saw that the bullet hole was exactly where I was aiming.. I was not only shocked, and pleased somewhat.. but confused. That should not be there. It should be lower. So we hiked back to the bench.

The next three made a lot more sense to me. Same POA but they hit where I expected then to hit. And I discovered I was out of XTPs. Another box shot.. Oh well. We have three more.

But I decided to call it a day and clean the rifle. Here is where I got a treat. I took the rifle apart. I used Hoppe's #9 as the solvent. First patch was filthy. Second dry clean patch fouled. Third dry clean patch clean.. I checked the barrel and it shined like a mirror. Wow this is nice.

The rest of the rifle cleaned real easy. The only part I had to pay attention to the was the breech plug. I was worried the flash channel might be fouled. So I used a guitar string that just fits through the flash channel hole. And with the brass wind on the end of the string it acts as a brush all most. I pulled that back and fourth a few times and check.. daylight through the flash channel. Some solvent cleaned the rest of the plug with no problem.

Overall the rifle behaved well. The two hangfires did kind of upset me. But next time I will stick to the rifle if I hear a primer pop. The 100 yard hits were fun. Maybe I need to fill some of them paint cans with water.

Old 11-13-2011, 10:16 AM
Banned

I'd dump the W209 primers.
Old 11-13-2011, 10:25 AM
Spike

it does sound like its a primer issue believe it or not try new tray of primers maybe that got wet some how or just a bad batch cause both rifles were shooting far to well to be i think a bullets sabot issue or bore fit issue
Old 11-13-2011, 10:40 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
I'd dump the W209 primers.
W209 primers are the only "hot" primers they sell around here. So unless I want to pay hazmat to order primers I am stuck with them.

I guess I should have seriously thought about Blackhorn and all the little quirks before I purchased so much of it. Need extra hot primers, have to drill out the flash channel after so many shots, more expensive. breech plug needs to be a special design, anything else I missed?
Old 11-13-2011, 10:46 AM
Banned

i just have to use hot primers and head space adjustment. Actually i can use the W209 primers on a factory plug, but again, tight head space adjustment is needed.

Did you see this?
Cayugad's tip of the day
Old 11-13-2011, 11:19 AM
Dominant Buck

Thanks so much Jon. Just what I needed to see...
Old 11-13-2011, 11:26 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by cayugad
Thanks so much Jon. Just what I needed to see...
you're welcome!

LOL
Old 11-13-2011, 11:31 AM
Dominant Buck

Would that rifle shoot Blackhorn with the Winchester primers? That is a nice rifle.
Old 11-13-2011, 11:32 AM
Banned

Yes as long as you keep the head space nice and tight. Could also buy the BH209 plug for it for around $25 shipped.
Old 11-13-2011, 11:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

That's why I asked you if you had an Omega. It has a perfect BP for BH 209, and would shoot the Win primer.

You told me you had no need for it, so............you need magnum primers at the minimum for what you're shooting.

As for cleaning the BP while shooting? Hold gun barrel up. Twist in drill a few times. Done. 5 seconds at the most.

BH 209 is not so hard to shoot. You just have to do what it likes. It's not related to BP in any way except how it measures.