Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Breech plug?

Old 11-10-2011, 02:22 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Grouse45
That really shows how stupid you really are. At least 75% of Black Powder shooters and BP Substitutes people tighten the plug down then turn it off the shelf. Right or wrong that's what they do. So you really are the Dummy on this one.

It would appear your buddy SL, dissagrees with you. so, who is the dummy or are we trying to win people back over.
Old 11-10-2011, 02:40 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by flounder33
You talk about Endeavor treating people disrespectfully, I think it takes one to know one.

you got that right!!!! And I have never heard of any one but grouse now, to start ****, back out there plug. Why would you? you seat it so the nose and shelf are in contact but, not enough to force the two together. in other words as soon as it stops turning, do not force any more. As SL said leaving it backed off would allow the gasses to start to escape.

Grouse is a salesman, he is not one of us, as a outdoorsman. he stays on top of a product like any good salesman should. any one that thinks otherwise, is just one of the sheeple. He has bragged over at doug's of how Knight flew him in to check out their new facility and to discuss their product line and spent the day with the owner and employees at the randge, and out to dinner. You think they would do that for us?

so, any chance he can, he tries to jump on a newbie's side to draw him in for some future purchase, then reccommend his pet products. Only reason he is on this forum, and why he gets so pissed when someone points it out.

I have been trying to avoid him since we where banned but, he keeps trying to start ****, so?
Old 11-10-2011, 02:54 AM
Fork Horn

Cant we all just get along
Old 11-10-2011, 09:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Muley, you speak of character? what type of person puts another member on ignore, then continues to make comments about him and expects no response? i only react to you when in fact you mention my name. again i never said i was placing you on ignore and in fact find it really amusing to watch you change your mind and give skewed info on every subject under the sun..nuff said and quit reading my responses on the sly...
Old 11-10-2011, 09:22 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by HEAD0001
I do mine exactly the same way. Two finger tight with the tool that came with the rifle.

Only thing I can add is that the threads and shelf need to be completely clean. SabotLoader taught me that one.

I also only use anti-seize. I don't like the extra tightness the tape seems to add to the plug. Tom.
after the incident with my knight, I don't use tape anymore either. Tape didn't cause the problem, but I couldn't tell how hard the plug turned it when using it. finger tight with anti seize worked for me before and will work again!
Old 11-10-2011, 10:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by josh...just josh
after the incident with my knight, I don't use tape anymore either. Tape didn't cause the problem, but I couldn't tell how hard the plug turned it when using it. finger tight with anti seize worked for me before and will work again!
Josh, if your using BH209, nothing is needed on the threads.hope everything worked out for you on that Knight rifle with the BP problem.
Old 11-10-2011, 10:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by josh...just josh
Josh, for what it might be worth... I can almost guarantee you that the tape would not have caused your problem. Both products are to hard and I doubt very much you could get enough pressure on any of the tools that we used to exceed the hardness...

BUT

In general... I would always suggest screwing a naked breech plug in TIGHT and back out in any gun before installing a new or previously used BP back into a gun before applying grease or tape. This way you could be checking and cleaning (tread chasing) the existing threads of both pieces of eequipment.