Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Breech plug?

Old 11-09-2011, 08:06 AM
Fork Horn

I really appreciate all of the replies. I thought about using the tape but being a plumber I remember an old timer telling me that with the added thickness of the tape he stretched the threads on a valve one time. Now I know it was a brass valve and this is stainless but I just tend to stay away from it. I will say sabotloader you're definately correct on the grease hardening. I clean my threads regularly an have been using the copper based never seize rather than the silver. I believe it's rated for a higher temperature not that it matters but it seems not to harden as much.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

I use TC Super Lube Anti-seize with PTFE. It's clear and not messy at all. I hardly know it's there. It rubs me wrong to not have something on the threads, and tape is not an option for me. I like the BP to screw in and out easily.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:43 AM
Banned

Finger tight
Old 11-09-2011, 09:59 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by dirt1008
First off I'd appreciate it if EndeavorShooter didn't reply, to this thread or any of mine for that matter. But my question is how tight do you tighten your breech plug. I use Anti-seize not Teflon tape if it matters.
Awwww aren't you special???

Your right because i couldn'y help a guy like you. if you cant figure out how tight to tighten your BP, i mean there is a shelf in there for a reason, it is to make it dummy proof. or for some anyway.

If you do not want someone to post in your thread, start your own board and then deny membership.

Last edited by EndeavorShooter; 11-09-2011 at 10:03 AM.
Old 11-09-2011, 11:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

The breech plugs that I have that need a wrench have a bar that you use with the wrench. I don't use the bar. I hand tighten the plug using the wrench without the bar. It doesn't have to be any tighter then you would tighten a Quick Release Breech Plug, the one that doesn't need a wrench.
Old 11-09-2011, 11:33 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by pluckit
The breech plugs that I have that need a wrench have a bar that you use with the wrench. I don't use the bar. I hand tighten the plug using the wrench without the bar. It doesn't have to be any tighter then you would tighten a Quick Release Breech Plug, the one that doesn't need a wrench.
That's the same type I have. Good to know
Old 11-09-2011, 12:53 PM
Fork Horn

I tighten mine just until the action locks with a primer installed. This is usually a quarter turn prior to being completely seated. Why? If I seat it all the way in, i get so much blowback. The other way, I get none! I do use the pink tape stuff.
Old 11-09-2011, 04:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by EndeavorShooter

Your right because i couldn'y help a guy like you. if you cant figure out how tight to tighten your BP, i mean there is a shelf in there for a reason, it is to make it dummy proof. or for some anyway.
That really shows how stupid you really are. At least 75% of Black Powder shooters and BP Substitutes people tighten the plug down then turn it off the shelf. Right or wrong that's what they do. So you really are the Dummy on this one.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Personally I think having it all the way in keeps both the breech plug and the "shelf" (new term to me) from erroding. I have always used the grease but one of these days I am going to use the tape, not because the mess bothers me so much, but because I feel it creates a better seal between the barrel and the plug.
I have never heard the statistic that 75 percent of the shooters loosen the plug a bit after tightening it, (nor do I know how one would get that number), but I don't think it is the right thing to do.
For me triple 7 seems to make the plugs come out the hardest.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by flounder33
Personally I think having it all the way in keeps both the breech plug and the "shelf" (new term to me) from erroding. I have always used the grease but one of these days I am going to use the tape, not because the mess bothers me so much, but because I feel it creates a better seal between the barrel and the plug.
I have never heard the statistic that 75 percent of the shooters loosen the plug a bit after tightening it, (nor do I know how one would get that number), but I don't think it is the right thing to do.
For me triple 7 seems to make the plugs come out the hardest.
With the plug backed off - or less than snug, if the gas can find a path to excape between the shelf and the nose of the plug - gas cutting is a possibility...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.