Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Shooting Free Hand >

Shooting Free Hand

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Shooting Free Hand

Old 11-08-2011, 05:41 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by HEAD0001
Endeavor I said my peace about your response to almost all posts that are put up. Your dribble speaks for itself. I will let the members decide whose side they want to come down on.

And I will not be dragged down into your muck world. So good day to you.

Dribble on. Tom.
This might be our problem head, I don't care about what the other members think or say. Specially a know it all like you.
Old 11-08-2011, 05:45 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by HEAD0001
Bronko let me explain what I said so there is no mis-conception.

In another post we were discussing off hand shooting. One member said he could hit the target off handed every time at 100 yards. Every time.

At that time I stated that at one period in my life I shot alot of Black Powder Silhouette. I live in the same region as you. I went to alot of BP Sil. competitions. I stated that I shot very well. But I only cleand about 15% of the courses that I ever shot.

Those courses consisted of 20 shots at 25, 50, 75, and 100 meters. That was the distance that we shot competition at here in WV and SE PA. The targets were 1/2 the size of standard rifle Silhouettes, which as you know are shot out to much farther distance. However in our physical area we wanted to keep our longest shot at 100 meters.

I was not a National Competitor. Nor am I a good enough shot to be a National Competitor.

The 15% comment came from me when I said I could shoot 20 for 20. I said I was competent enough to clean the course 15% of the time I tried it. Hopefuly that clears it up.

If you know alot of shooters then you will recognize the name Marvin Wotring. He ran alot of those silhouettte shoots that we attended in the Morgantown and Uniontown areas.

We also shot alot of "woods walks". That was also alot of fun. But we never shot at any target past 100 yards in the woods. I also could clean those shoots about 15% of the time. However it seemed there was always a shoot off where a few different shooters would clean the course. ALot of those type shoots went away with the advent of the Archery IBO shots.

I was not stating that other shooters could or could not shoot better than cleanig the course 15% of the time. My comment was that was what MY CAPABILITES are. Tom.
You also told us what everyone elses capabilities are to. When you said no one can hit a standard piece of paper at 100yds, everytime.
Old 11-08-2011, 05:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

I never miss a moose at 20yds.

So there.
Old 11-08-2011, 05:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

I hit something with every shot, no matter how far I'm shooting.
Old 11-08-2011, 06:31 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
I hit something with every shot, no matter how far I'm shooting.

thats nothing, i can do it with a sling shot.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Lots of good advice on here about off hand shooting. Foot forward and dont grip the gun to tightly, very good advice. The other little trick I use is I dont try to hold the crosshairs directly on the target for very long. I hold them slightly below and creep the crosshairs up to the target and squeeze the trigger when they get to where I want to shoot. This might not work for you, but it does for me. My great uncle taught me that when I was a young boy. He was one of the finest offhand shooters I have ever seen. Dont forget practice practice and more practice. I am not anywhere near as good as I use to be because I dont practice like I should. I always try to get a rest first.
Old 11-09-2011, 04:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

gregrn43
That is interesting. I learned to hold the cross hairs above the target and let them drift down as I relaxed when I squeeze the trigger. I never met anyone who was a championship shooter who tried to hold the sights steady on the target off hand all seem to have some technique for moving them on to the target just before the gun goes off. I have seen one person who could shoot any kind of a trigger well but I am at a loss as to what if any system he used as he looked at the target snapped the gun up and fired so fast it seemed like he was shooting instinctive.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by lemoyne
gregrn43
That is interesting. I learned to hold the cross hairs above the target and let them drift down as I relaxed when I squeeze the trigger. I never met anyone who was a championship shooter who tried to hold the sights steady on the target off hand all seem to have some technique for moving them on to the target just before the gun goes off. I have seen one person who could shoot any kind of a trigger well but I am at a loss as to what if any system he used as he looked at the target snapped the gun up and fired so fast it seemed like he was shooting instinctive.
Lee
I don't think it would matter if the sight is held above or below the target, below is just the way that I learned how to shoot off hand and that's always worked for me. I need to start practicing that again. Practice is so important, but I just don't seem to have the time like I use to.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by westtexducks
+1 for using the sling. Here is a video to a very affective method that I use all of the time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gAso3l7UCU
Thanks for the demo. vid. site, I watched several of them and see how it's done. I'll give it a try tonight when I get home. I also want to thank everyone for the other suggestions made about stance,relaxed grip and muscles etc. The 22 LR would be a good training aide for sure,it gets a bit exspensive shooting the ML to much. Thanks again and I'll let you know how I do with these new insights put to much use in practice.

Last edited by doetrain; 11-09-2011 at 06:34 AM.