Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Shooting Free Hand >

Shooting Free Hand

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Shooting Free Hand

Old 11-08-2011, 04:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by EndeavorShooter
it has been said on this forum that competition shooters can only hit 15% of what they are aiming at, freehand. i would just give up now!!

Endeavor would you please stop telling lies about what you read.

My exact commnent was that when I was shooting MZ Silhouette competition that I could only clean the whole course about 15% of the time. That has nothing to do with only being able to hit the target 15% of the time. You really are a classless idiot and you need to be called out.

You were the idiot who said he hits every target every time-100% of the time. And I apologize for calling you an idiot in the last statement. You actually should be called a liar for saying such dribble.

You have already been given a "time out" off the forum before because you can't control your mouth. When is it enough.

To the OP I aplologize for posting this in your thread, but this idiot Endeavor needs to be called out. Tom.

Last edited by HEAD0001; 11-08-2011 at 04:53 PM.
Old 11-08-2011, 04:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

Always, always try to use a rest whenever possible. Now I realize there are times when this just isn't possible when a shot presents itself. Sothe only advice I can give you is one that my shooting mentor told me many years ago. First and formost, you will never hold a rifle rock steady shooting offhand. Even the best shooters in the world will tell you this. The trick is to practice, practice, practice. As you continue to practice you will notice that your sight begins to move in a continous circle. The more you practice, the smaller this circle will become. Also, to get a feel for the stance, pick a target, close your eyes and shoulder the rifle. When you open your eyes the sights should be very close to your target. If not, adjust your stance. Do not try to move your rifle. This creates and unnatural stance and, like Lemoyne said, will cause muscle tension - a deterent to accuracy. The next aspect is trigger control. You need a rifle with a good trigger. Only apply pressure when the sights are on the target (moving in that mythical circle). And never, ever jerk the trigger. You will miss every time. The shot should almost be a surprise to you.
Keep practicing and you will become proficient.
Old 11-08-2011, 04:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Again to the OP I apologize for my rant in the post above.

Now to address your shooting situation.

There is nothing that replaces good practice. What I mean by good practice is that you need to take every shot seriously. The best thing to do is buy a nice 22 LR that is as close to a feel as you can get to your other rifles. Always load the rifle single shot, even if it is a repeater. This will slow down your practice. And slowing down your practice is exactly what you want to do. You want to concentrate on every shot. Shoot every shot like it was the last shot you are ever going to take. Or like it is that shot at a trophy buck.

The 22 LR is the cheapest way to practice. And also the most effective.

You have been given alot of good advice above in most of the responses. I can only add one item that I think is very important. When trying to shoot accurately it is best(IMO) to focus on your target. Concentrate on your target, and pick an exact spot. Shooting at round black circled targets is not good practice. You need to shoot at specific smaller items.

Personally I like a 2" or a 2-1/2" gong at distances from 50 to 100 yards. You get immediate gratification if you hit the target. And you don't need to reset it.

And Bronco is exactly correct about shooting in a hunting situation. Always take advantage of anything that will steady your shot when shooting at game. Tom.

Last edited by HEAD0001; 11-08-2011 at 04:51 PM.
Old 11-08-2011, 04:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

I just read that 15%. Don't believe it. I shot along side a several time national champion (name withheld) during team competitions. We shot 4 position indoor but he shot all his shots offhand. And he rarely missed the 10 ring and out of the 40 shots, I would bet the average of 35 were in the 10X. He is a RH shooter and I am LH. One day he asked if he could try my rifle and shoot lefty. I allowed it and he proceeded to take out Xs shooting offhand from his opposite side. It all boils down to muscle training and practice.
Old 11-08-2011, 04:57 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by HEAD0001
Endeavor would you please stop telling lies about what you read.

My exact commnent was that when I wias shooting MZ Silhouette competition that I could only clean the whole course about 15% of the time. That has nothing to do with only being able to hit the target 15% of the time. You really are a classless idiot and you need to be called out.

You have already been given a "time out" off the forum before because you can't control your mouth. When is it enough.

To the OP I aplologize for posting this in your thread, but this idiot Endeavor needs to be called out. Tom.
I was banned for calling grouse retarded, so lets see how the mods feel about idiot.
as far as running my mouth, they have never had a problem with it. just calling out the know it alls.
as far as that goes did I drag your name into it, or does it make you mad that I brought it up. And you felt defensive. I mean even in that thread you felt the need to try and press your wisdom on me and only me. When muley called you out on your bet, you said oh I wasn't talking about you. So do you pick and choose who you want to start mouthing off too, by flipping a coin?
Old 11-08-2011, 05:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Endeavor I said my peace about your response to almost all posts that are put up. Your dribble speaks for itself. I will let the members decide whose side they want to come down on.

And I will not be dragged down into your muck world. So good day to you.

Dribble on. Tom.
Old 11-08-2011, 05:12 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
I just read that 15%. Don't believe it. I shot along side a several time national champion (name withheld) during team competitions. We shot 4 position indoor but he shot all his shots offhand. And he rarely missed the 10 ring and out of the 40 shots, I would bet the average of 35 were in the 10X. He is a RH shooter and I am LH. One day he asked if he could try my rifle and shoot lefty. I allowed it and he proceeded to take out Xs shooting offhand from his opposite side. It all boils down to muscle training and practice.
I might have to drag that thread back up but, according to head. That is impossible and he is the expert on comp shooting.
Old 11-08-2011, 05:16 PM
Banned

i can hit a target free hand 9 out of 10 times " first shot is my sight in shot" with the rifle slung over my shoulder and someone holding a mirror for me to aim with. And thats at 100 yards.
Old 11-08-2011, 05:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
I just read that 15%. Don't believe it.

Bronko let me explain what I said so there is no mis-conception.

In another post we were discussing off hand shooting. One member said he could hit the target off handed every time at 100 yards. Every time.

At that time I stated that at one period in my life I shot alot of Black Powder Silhouette. I live in the same region as you. I went to alot of BP Sil. competitions. I stated that I shot very well. But I only cleand about 15% of the courses that I ever shot.

Those courses consisted of 20 shots at 25, 50, 75, and 100 meters. That was the distance that we shot competition at here in WV and SE PA. The targets were 1/2 the size of standard rifle Silhouettes, which as you know are shot out to much farther distance. However in our physical area we wanted to keep our longest shot at 100 meters.

I was not a National Competitor. Nor am I a good enough shot to be a National Competitor.

The 15% comment came from me when I said I could shoot 20 for 20. I said I was competent enough to clean the course 15% of the time I tried it. Hopefuly that clears it up.

If you know alot of shooters then you will recognize the name Marvin Wotring. He ran alot of those silhouettte shoots that we attended in the Morgantown and Uniontown areas.

We also shot alot of "woods walks". That was also alot of fun. But we never shot at any target past 100 yards in the woods. I also could clean those shoots about 15% of the time. However it seemed there was always a shoot off where a few different shooters would clean the course. ALot of those type shoots went away with the advent of the Archery IBO shots.

I was not stating that other shooters could or could not shoot better than cleanig the course 15% of the time. My comment was that was what MY CAPABILITES are. Tom.

Last edited by HEAD0001; 11-08-2011 at 05:27 PM.
Old 11-08-2011, 05:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

Head - no explanation necessary. And heck I can even hit a target 10 out of 10 times at 100 yds offhand. But to address this further, it depends on the size of the target. Like maybe a 55 gallon drum lid?!?!?! I know I hit a 2" circle at 50 yds offhand 8 out of 9 times and validated it with pics on here during Semisane's friendly competition. And that was with 2 different rifles.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.