Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
First Muzzleloader - I need help !! >

First Muzzleloader - I need help !!

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

First Muzzleloader - I need help !!

Old 11-02-2011, 04:20 PM
Spike

Default First Muzzleloader - I need help !!

I bought my first muzzleloader last week, its a Thompson Center bonecollecter....I picked it up for $300 w/leupold rings and base..Is that a good deal?

The barrel was real dirty and I used a TC muzzleloader cleaning kit and its better but the solution in the kit doesnt seem to work good.

I was wondering what kind of powder and bullets I should try

Sorry for all the very Newbie questions

THANKS ALOT
Old 11-02-2011, 04:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Does it look like rust in the bore?
Old 11-02-2011, 04:30 PM
Spike

when I did the intial cleaning today it came out black and is still coming out black but not as much. If I need to look for rust do I just shine a flashlight down it?
Old 11-02-2011, 04:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Black just sounds like powder residue. Take out the breech plug to check the barrel. Just hold it up to a light.

Use a copper brush with some strong solvent and scrub the bore. Did the previous owner say what he used for powder?

Rust will be a red brown.
Old 11-02-2011, 04:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

You got yourself a great muzzleloader, Congratulations.

1-Take the barrel off and scrub it out with soapy boiling water. Be carefull and dont get burnt.

2-Dry the barrel really well and run some patches of bore cleaner to check and see how clean it is.

3- Dry and oil the barrel.

4- Run 100 strokes of JB'S bore paste.

5- Clean again with bore cleaner and take it to the range.

BH209 Powder
Federal 209 Primers
Harvester short black sabots
250grn Bonded Shockwave for now.

BTW- Dont skip anything right now. i think you will be very happy when all done.

Dont forget to oil and clean your breech plug.
Old 11-02-2011, 04:36 PM
Spike

he bought it from estate sale, he shot it and used 777 powder. Ive taken plug out and looked in light and it still looks like their are a few rough patches. What solvent do you recommend, I used the TC stuff that came in the cleaning kit
Old 11-02-2011, 04:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Ok, then soapy water will get it clean. Fill a bucket with 3-4" of water. Put a patch on a jag and one end of the barrel in the water. Pump the patch up and down. It will suck the water up into the barrel.

Then some JB should get anything that's left and polish it up..

btw You got a good price.

Last edited by Muley Hunter; 11-02-2011 at 04:43 PM.
Old 11-02-2011, 04:40 PM
Spike

The plug at first was hard to get out and wasnt very speedy, took it out and cleaned it and it comes out easy now. Where do I buy all those products you mentioned. the guy said that it like loose 777 and TC xtp bullets.
Old 11-02-2011, 05:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

You might have some plastic build up from the sabots. I don't shoot sabots, so I don't know what product to use to remove it.

Most of the members here use sabots. Someone will help you out.

You should find the JB at any gun shop, but you may not need it. See about the plastic first. Also, if you don't want to do the water thing. Any black powder solvent should get it clean. Your TC cleaning kit should be fine.
Old 11-02-2011, 05:06 PM
Banned

birchwood casey lead remover & polishing cloth may help out big time. Used this in my sidelocks as i would pull black or gray patches after cleaning the bore. Must have been carbon or lead but its gone down. May help you get that thing squeaky clean as well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.