Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Bolt Action VS. Break Action >

Bolt Action VS. Break Action

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Bolt Action VS. Break Action

Old 11-03-2011, 04:45 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by jaybez101099
EndShooter you come across very ****ey with your response. Nothing is 100% when it comes to shooting. Not even with your TenPoint Phantom CLS. Which cracks me up the whole crossbow using but thats for another section.
Well first, i can be ****y, i put the time in to be so!

As far as the whole crossbow thing, i hunted my first 10 years with a compound, the next 18 with a long bow. so, the whole Ross thing is a joke to me. I shot tournament with a compound. But, before you try to down a crossbow shooter, you should find out, why for one. two, think how bad you look to a longbow, recurve guy.

A car wreck and a screwed back, neck and shoulder later, it was a crossbow or give up 2 months of hunting. So, when you start having issues that force you to choose a crossbow or the couch, come back and talk to me. In my state you have to go to a doctor and he must say you are not able to use a bow under normal circumstances to use a crossbow. I was forced, i did not choose it. i am a big guy and can still pick up more weight than most but, i can not pull back more than 20lbs.

Last edited by EndeavorShooter; 11-03-2011 at 05:03 PM.
Old 11-03-2011, 04:56 PM
Typical Buck

Medical is the only way they should be used so for that angle keep on using. But come on and come clear with the whole 100% thing at 100yds. As far as putting time in even the best have off days. I have missed a few deer in my life and not once was the equipment at fault.
Old 11-03-2011, 05:00 PM
Fork Horn

Nothing is 100% when it comes to shooting.
Accuracy is nothing more than being consistent, with the weapon, the load and the guy pulling the trigger.
Old 11-03-2011, 05:15 PM
Typical Buck

Medical is the only way they should be used so for that angle keep on using. But come on and come clear with the whole 100% thing at 100yds. As far as putting time in even the best have off days. I have missed a few deer in my life and not once was the equipment at fault.
So, whats your reason for using a compound, kinda cheating. Compound-crossbow= strings, cables, arrows, sights.

Nothing to come clean about, if you practice and use a sling the way it was meant and bury your elbow. you are just as sturdy as using sticks or a tree. i practice most times free hand, that way i know when i use sticks or a tree as a brace, i am not going to miss. as far as that goes how many of you actually shoot free hand at animals, there are aways braces around and there should never be a missed animal.

sure i have missed but, not since i was about 16. but, i do not take rushed or questionable shots, either. at that distance it has to be broadside and standing. with a slug gun!

How many of you can consistantly hit a running deer within 75yds. I have put a Somersault roll on the last 5 out of 6.

Last edited by EndeavorShooter; 11-03-2011 at 05:20 PM.
Old 11-03-2011, 05:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

EndShooter you come across very ****ey with your response. Nothing is 100% when it comes to shooting.

I have to strongly disagree with you. If he says he can do it "everytime" then I believe him. Some people have got it, and some people don't. I don't have it. But he definitely has it. If you don't believe it, then just ask him. Tom.
Old 11-03-2011, 05:29 PM
Typical Buck

EndShotr.....This isnt the place for compound/crossbow talk but heres one for you. My 4 1/2 year old son shoots my Dads Ten point crossbow. And shoots real well. If thats the same as a compound then so be it. I take it you need everyone to feel your the man when it comes to shooting so to end this I believe you.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can say that many years ago a friend and i taught a 18 year old that worked for me and was interested in learning to hunt.that kid is in his early 30's now and he has never missed a shot on a deer. he can shoot off hand or from a rest with amazing accuracy. i have personally seen him DRT a muley running full out at 175 yds, one shot one kill. he is what i refer to as a natural, plain and simple. as Tom said, some people just have the natural ability to shoot.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

Do you watch Top Shot on the History channel? Even the very best well trained shooters miss now and then. Frankly, when someone says he will hit a sheet of notebook paper at 100 yards offhand every time without fail, I stop paying attention. Heck, when you think of Joe Biden as Vice President you've got to think that even Saint Barack missed the mark at least once.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:51 PM
Fork Horn

To sum it all up, buy a rifle for an intended purpuse. The 4 inch grouping break open is fine for deer in the woods. But if we are talking about coyotes at 200 yrds then buy a rifle that meets the conditions. If the OP is talking about competition, then the accuracy debate is completely different. Buy the rifle that works for you.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:56 PM
Typical Buck

EndShotr.....This isnt the place for compound/crossbow talk but heres one for you. My 4 1/2 year old son shoots my Dads Ten point crossbow. And shoots real well. If thats the same as a compound then so be it. I take it you need everyone to feel your the man when it comes to shooting so to end this I believe you.
That's where you are wrong, I don't care who believes what. I am not here needing friends or believers. I am truly sorry you guys can't shoot straight. If I could not shoot any better than that, I would quit, why would you hunt deer when only 15% of the time you can hit one. Or is that just targets.

I did not say or mean to say everytime, but I will hit it 95% of the time. In a real hunt situation with a tree or sticks 100% for the last 23yrs. But, I probably only shoot at 1 a year on average at 100 yds.