Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
I've come to a decision >

I've come to a decision

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

I've come to a decision

Old 11-01-2011, 02:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default I've come to a decision

I was scheduled off this week for the last week of archery season. But my freezers are packed full of bison from my recent hunt. So I opted to go in to work and forget about harvesting a deer - even though my chances are pretty good where my stand(s) are. I may go out with the bow on Saturday morning with the bow and see if I can shoot a turkey or possibly Mr. Big should he walk by. PA does not allow harvesting of a buck during the early ML season in mid-Oct when all MLs are legal (over .44 cal). So I decided I will carry my .54 during the regular firearms season and hope to draw down on a buck then. Its really pulling at me because I enjoy both archery and traditional MLing. But I've taken nice buck with the bow for the past 5 years. So it may be time to fill the tag with a ML. Even though the decision keeps going back an forth in my head. I will definately be out on Saturday with bow in hand. And if a buck does come by, its going to have to be a pretty nice one. I may need restraints by then though!
Old 11-01-2011, 02:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Not sure what decision you made. You want to hunt, but don't have room in the freezer, but you may shoot a good buck if it happens to walk by and says shoot me. Would you then have room in your freezer?
Old 11-01-2011, 02:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

Muley, Turkey are in season and Saturday is the last day for archery. There are 3 buck in the area that are in the 125 - 140 class (public land). If one of those 3 come in, I would be crazy to let them walk. I never shot a deer that big. And to do it with archery gear would be great. Now you have to understand something. Here in PA we have a good number of hunters and limited public land. I don't have the luxury of owning or hunting private land so it gets mighty crowed in most areas the first couple of day. Archery season and the late ML season (after Christmas) are another story. Most of the time you won't see another hunter.
And except for the chance of getting a crack at one of those previously mentioned big boys, I don't want to shoot another deer just to say I did. We don't have a 'hunters for the hungry' or other similar program here. But I do have family member that would take the venison. So it wouldn't be wasted.
So I guess what I am saying is that I am not going to shoot any deer, only one of the previously mentioned 3 if I get a chance with my bow. I will however, shoot any legal deer with my ML come regular rifle season. I guess its hard to put in to words the things that are going thru my feeble old mind.
Old 11-01-2011, 02:51 PM
Fork Horn

I remember making a decission as a teen, I went squirrel hunting instead of bow hunting. On my way out of the woods, I nearly got ran over by a doe at a full run. I hope you see your trophy and enjoy the season.
Old 11-01-2011, 02:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well, good luck if Mr Buck comes along.

I understand crowded. My unit has 200 ML hunters, and 900 2nd season rifle season, and about the same for 3rd rifle season. That's just my unit and it's not even a popular one. I love Colorado, but the problem is too many others do too.

The ML season sounds better than it really is, because archery season is the same time. I hardly ever see them though. They're sneaky, and don't have to wear blaze orange.
Old 11-01-2011, 03:04 PM
Dominant Buck

Have you ever canned venison? Mason Jars, 1 teaspoon of salt, pack with nice clean venison, 1 inch from the top of the rim, and a pressure canner. You can make some excellent meat, it is great on rice or potatoes, it makes its own gravy, stores anywhere for ever, and is easy to make.

Now get out there and shoot a deer... good luck
Old 11-01-2011, 03:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by cayugad
Have you ever canned venison? Mason Jars, 1 teaspoon of salt, pack with nice clean venison, 1 inch from the top of the rim, and a pressure canner. You can make some excellent meat, it is great on rice or potatoes, it makes its own gravy, stores anywhere for ever, and is easy to make.

Now get out there and shoot a deer... good luck
I've been thinking of that too. I still have a deer tag, and no freezer space left. It's kind of pricey to get started if you buy a good pressure cooker. I could just buy another freezer.
Old 11-01-2011, 03:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Canned venison is also the best base for vegetable soup you will ever have...

We also put it on hamburger or hotdog buns and put BBQ sauce on it...

Makes a great Christmas gift as well...
Old 11-01-2011, 03:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bronko22000, what state are you talking about? Saturday is not the last day of Bow season in PA?????
Old 11-01-2011, 03:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

Grouse - Holy Crap - You're right. I just checked the regs. Damn, now I have til the 12th. Good thing you said something cause I thought archery bear season was next week. I lost a week somewhere!!!!!!!
Thanks - I could just imagine the looks on the faces of the WCOs if I drove in to a district office with my nice warm arrowed black bear next week. I bet they would have wiped the smile off my face.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.