Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Talk about being stupid. >

Talk about being stupid.

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Talk about being stupid.

Old 10-31-2011, 04:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Talk about being stupid.

About a month ago the wife and I took her brand new T/C Triumph out to the range. Day before SC's BP season opened. I had it boresighted which to me is a waste of time. I have a couple different bore sighters and have never had them even get close. I set the target at 25 yards. It was so far off I shot the metal frame about a foot from center.I finally got it cranked in and moved it to 100 yards.I was really proud of the group the wife was getting. We were there probably 2 hrs or more out at the range and we only fired her rifle.

We go back to the hunt club. I clean it on the tailgate using a MTM gunsmithing/ cleaning rifle craddle. Meanwhile some of the guys come over to shoot the bull. Dammit man I know better. I get the rifle cleaned. I rested the rifle against the tailgate for a second. The rifle slipped off and hit the edge of the road. It marked the barrel and a slight ding on the forend. That's what hit the slightly raised edge of the asphalt. The scope never hit the asphalt and there were no marks on the scope. We never did get to re-fire it. SO I have no idea if that rifle is off. I really don't think it knocked the scope out nor do the guys that were there. She hunted with it but never got a shot. Talk about being PO taking the time to get it right and a few seconds later not knowing where it's shooting. I know better I just took my mind off what I was doing for a second.The rifle has a Nikon Omega bp scope and the T/C rings and base.I know they aren't the best rings and base. Looking at it nothing seems to have moved. The rings are straight not bent to the one side.
Old 10-31-2011, 04:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

Ruger-Redhawk

Knowing my luck.... I would seriously go shoot that thing and verify everything is honky-dorie...
Old 10-31-2011, 04:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sabotloader
Ruger-Redhawk

Knowing my luck.... I would seriously go shoot that thing and verify everything is honky-dorie...

I agree with you 100%. It was already getting dusk when it happened. I can assure you it will get fired before the next season. Being we were pushed for time we gambled that it was on. I think it probably is but I want to know for sure.
Old 10-31-2011, 04:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Talk about being stupid??--------------Now there is something I know something about!! Tom.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:37 PM
Dominant Buck

I once was asked by a friend if he could see my 30-06. I warned him it was loaded, and to BE CAREFUL with it. He was fine with handling it. But when he set it down, he leaned it onto a wall, and let go of it. The rifle was not set up right, slide down the wall and landed on the scope. It also received a big nick in the wooden stock. Now I was furious of course, he kind of thought I was over reacting. The scope was still dead on when I shot it that afternoon. The nick is still in the stock to remind me of that day. And he's never been allowed to handle any of my rifles since that time.
Old 10-31-2011, 06:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

cayugad,
I'm glad you refrained from wrapping the rifle around your friends head LOL. I wouldn't let him near any of my rifles either. You could have really over reacted breaking the stock over his head..
Old 11-01-2011, 12:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

I loaned a friend one of my 30-06's one time because he didnt have a rifle and no cash to buy one before deer season. When I got it back it was rusted and I dont mean just a spot or two there was alot of rust. I dont loan any of my guns out anymore.
Old 11-01-2011, 01:31 AM
Fork Horn

What type of T/C scope base and rings are you using? If they are the steel Maxima set then they are awesome rings/bases, imo. Made by Warne for T/C I believe...

I agree with these guys you are probably ok, but I would shoot it again to be sure. That way the next time you or your wife take this gun to the woods you can be 100% confident in your set-up, eliminating any second-guessing or "what if" scenerios that will play out in your mind before taking a shot (we all know how those can be!).

Good luck to ya!!
Old 11-01-2011, 04:03 AM
Typical Buck

I had my Knight Revolution to the range several times before season last year. I used the same target on two different trips and that thing would put shots from the second trip touching the shots from the first trip. It was shooting great.

Then I took it out a couple weeks ago and it was all over the place and shooting several inches to the left. I checked the scope screws on the scopes and found the ones on the mounts were not quite tight. I tightened them maybe a full half turn. Now I have to get back to the range and get this thing dialed in again.

Lesson here is to definitely check the zero now. BTW, I am using the same scope you are.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:34 AM
Typical Buck

I would say you are good to go. If the blast from shooting does not affect the scope then a "small" drop should not have any affect. Check all the contact points for looseness if all is ok then you are fine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.