Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
No moose but we tagged a bear >

No moose but we tagged a bear

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

No moose but we tagged a bear

Old 10-27-2011, 03:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default No moose but we tagged a bear

There were 4 of us in camp this year. We tent it so it is a lot of work to get set up. We made a great call on pre-arranging firewood. It rained the entire time we were there and if it hadn't been for the dry wood, it would have been a real miserable time in a tent.

As I mentioned we didn't get a moose but we did get a bear. Unfortuneately it wasn't my GPR that did the deed. It was one of our CF guy's. He was a nice bear and we figure he went around 300-350 lbs he was 6'10" tip of nose to tip of tail when skinned. I brought home a 5 gal pail of fat for a lady at work. She's a bit of witch and likes to make homemade salves and ointments. I asked her to save me some rendered fat for use as patch lube. She gave me about a 2 lb jar of rendered fat. She said she has plenty now for a year or two for herself. lol

We had to call our hunt short as a close family friend had passed away while we were hunting. The Provincial Police came and found us to notify us of the death.

Deer season is coming up soon so I'm hopeing the GPR will get blooded then.

Has anyone used bear grease for a lube? If so how were your results?

HA
Old 10-27-2011, 03:49 PM
mountaineer magic

very nice. i would rather ave a bear than a moose any day. Congratulations to your hunt party. Hope you get the GPR in action on your next outing

Old 10-27-2011, 04:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

HuntAway

Congrats on the harvest... that is a nice looking animal also... Who ever got that will have a lot to talk about for awhile...

Hope you get a chance to set off the GPR - soon...
Old 10-27-2011, 04:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Me too!!! I think it is getting a little envious. Deer season opens up on the 7th for firearms....so fingers are crossed and the flint is sharp.

You fella's ever use bear grease for a patch lube?

HA
Old 10-27-2011, 05:32 PM
Fork Horn

very nice bear that will look good on the floor
Old 10-27-2011, 05:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by HuntAway

You fella's ever use bear grease for a patch lube?

HA

There is a fellow over on the MuzzleLoading Forum that has a recipe on how to make it.

I have a friend who is going to bring me some bear fat this hunting season coming up. I am going to try and make some.

Maybe someone here has a recipe?? Tom.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have eaten both moose and bear meat. give me the moose meat and you can have the bear meat lol.. nice healthy looking bear... congrats
Old 10-27-2011, 06:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by builder459
I have eaten both moose and bear meat. give me the moose meat and you can have the bear meat lol..

No doubt about that. The best sandwich I ever had in my life was a fresh Moose Tenderloin sandwich on a open fire(in butter) where we were quartering(and de-boning) out a Moose one time. Man that was great!! Tom.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by HEAD0001
No doubt about that. The best sandwich I ever had in my life was a fresh Moose Tenderloin sandwich on a open fire(in butter) where we were quartering(and de-boning) out a Moose one time. Man that was great!! Tom.
+1 on that! Moose meat is great! Although I have to say Elk is a little better to my taste. Congrats on the bear!
Old 10-27-2011, 07:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by HEAD0001
It is our standing policy to eat tenderloins as soon as possible. Usually on the BBQ.

As for moose vs bear......Ya I like moose better but if properly prepared and it is a wilderness bear far removed from garbage, well, they're pretty tasty too. And if push came to shove....give me caribou any day.

HA

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.