Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
No moose but we tagged a bear >

No moose but we tagged a bear

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

No moose but we tagged a bear

Old 10-28-2011, 04:05 AM
Fork Horn

That's a nice Bear!!
Old 10-28-2011, 05:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on the bear. It sounds like you had a great time and that's just as important as any harvest.
Old 10-28-2011, 05:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

No bear meat will be much good if the bear is not field dressed and cooled quickly.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:55 AM
Typical Buck

HuntAway that is a nice bear. As far as the fat here is a post I found with great info.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=112712
Old 10-28-2011, 11:35 AM
Dominant Buck

Very nice bear and very good eating.

Render that bear fat down until it is clear as water. The just take a little and smear it on a pillow tick patch material. Makes a great roundball lube.
Old 10-28-2011, 01:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

That is a dandy bear. Congrats to your friend.
Old 10-28-2011, 02:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by cayugad
Very nice bear and very good eating.

Render that bear fat down until it is clear as water. The just take a little and smear it on a pillow tick patch material. Makes a great roundball lube.
I have the grease that she had rendered but it has hardened up much like bacon grease while in the fridge. Should I just use the grease or should I warm it up again?

Thanks,

and.........in my front yard today I found some buffer material. Never noticed it until the leaves dropped. I think I might wait a month or so before bringing it down. It's a little bit larger than a basketball.

If the old wives tale about how much snow you get can be determined by how high the wasps build their nests..... We'll be in for a pile of snow this year as the nest is about 15' up.

HA
Old 10-31-2011, 08:47 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by HuntAway
There were 4 of us in camp this year. We tent it so it is a lot of work to get set up. We made a great call on pre-arranging firewood. It rained the entire time we were there and if it hadn't been for the dry wood, it would have been a real miserable time in a tent.

As I mentioned we didn't get a moose but we did get a bear. Unfortuneately it wasn't my GPR that did the deed. It was one of our CF guy's. He was a nice bear and we figure he went around 300-350 lbs he was 6'10" tip of nose to tip of tail when skinned. I brought home a 5 gal pail of fat for a lady at work. She's a bit of witch and likes to make homemade salves and ointments. I asked her to save me some rendered fat for use as patch lube. She gave me about a 2 lb jar of rendered fat. She said she has plenty now for a year or two for herself. lol

We had to call our hunt short as a close family friend had passed away while we were hunting. The Provincial Police came and found us to notify us of the death.

Deer season is coming up soon so I'm hopeing the GPR will get blooded then.

Has anyone used bear grease for a lube? If so how were your results?

HA
Nice bear! I have been wanting to bear hunt for about 10 years now and this makes me jealous. Sorry to hear about the death in your family.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:25 AM
Typical Buck

You keep heating it up and seperating the oil out, it is a task but well worth the effort.
Old 11-01-2011, 05:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Gotbuck
You keep heating it up and seperating the oil out, it is a task but well worth the effort.
Thanks for that gotbuck, and the link too.

I made up 40 lbs of sausage from that bear. 20 lbs Breakfast Style and 20 lbs Sweet Italian. If the test fries are any indication they will be great. Got 17 roasts from him as well so come deer season the first feed will comence. My brother-in-law is a great bear cook. I'm looking forward to that meal.

HA