Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Don't Shoot the Messenger... TC vs CVA-Traditions >

Don't Shoot the Messenger... TC vs CVA-Traditions

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Don't Shoot the Messenger... TC vs CVA-Traditions

Old 10-28-2011, 06:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
whats this
What's this, not much info!
Old 10-28-2011, 07:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

The document at the link is dated May, 1011. Anyone have the current status on this?
Old 10-28-2011, 07:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

whats this
That's called a 'dodge and deflect'. A classic, albeit cliché debate tactic.

Honestly, I doubt much will come from the lawsuit, but I think we all know that CVA/BPI just copies TC's designs. I'm sure CVA has lawyers that work with the designers to ensure they're ok when things of this nature happen.

Last edited by TNHagies; 10-28-2011 at 07:11 AM.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

A screw in breech plug is hardly a new idea that TC thought of. They made it easy to remove, but that would be a natural progression for any company. It's my understanding that you need to make something a little different to be considered "not a copy". I forgot the percentage. I know it's not that much. 10%?
Old 10-28-2011, 09:22 AM
Fork Horn

Great exposure for a company that could be down on ML sales !!!!
Old 10-28-2011, 09:28 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
A screw in breech plug is hardly a new idea that TC thought of. They made it easy to remove, but that would be a natural progression for any company. It's my understanding that you need to make something a little different to be considered "not a copy". I forgot the percentage. I know it's not that much. 10%?
I still think they are liable for "royalty" fees even if they change 1 thing. The initial design concept is still being used so they still get paid, how much is up to the attorneys. This being an international case as well will be interesting in seeing how those laws will be affected. I do not think it becomes an infringement of US patents until it reaches the US and is sold here in the market. My understanding with the other companies is all the work is done in the other countries and brought here in the states to be assembled, there may be a loop hole here that states it is only an infringement of US patents if made in the USA and sold here, if made in another country that patent does not technically apply unless they have filed for patent in that country or so I think. It will be interesting to see what happens, I remember when I first saw the break-open and finger removable breech plugs and now you see them everywhere. Someone will end up paying the piper but I do not want to see those companies wiped out, their products have come a long way.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:19 AM
Banned

TC copied CVA's QRBP design big time.
Old 10-28-2011, 12:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Its about time they nail them copycats to the wall.
Old 10-28-2011, 02:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

TC copied CVA's QRBP design big time.
Lol, impossible since they were the original designers of the speed or quick release BP, whatever you want to call it..
Old 10-28-2011, 04:08 PM
Banned

no they had the 1/4 turn plug with the rubber seal and o rings.

The speed breech 3 that tc came out with recently is a big time copy of cva and traditions plug.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.