Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Thats it, the cap smacker is coming out!!!! >

Thats it, the cap smacker is coming out!!!!

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Thats it, the cap smacker is coming out!!!!

Old 10-26-2011, 05:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good luck with the searche this morning. Hope you're able to find her. It's amazing how much diferent things look in the light.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Was she bleeding a good bit? I imagine it's possible that she wasn't with the high spine shot. It's definitely good to reload immediately after any shot at game.

I imagine you're out there now. We're all pullin' for ya!
Old 10-26-2011, 02:36 PM
Fork Horn

Did you have any luck finding her??

Something similiar happened to me a couple years ago on Thanksgiving morning. Shot a doe from my climbing treestand at about 60-70 yards. She dropped like a sack of potatos- never moved a muscle. I stayed in the stand for about 30 minutes then decided to go retrieve her. I get about half way down the tree and she jumps up and runs off!!!! Went to were she was laying and found no blood- nothing.

I looked for that deer all day and never found her. I was so upset/frustrated over the matter I didnt even eat Thanksgiving dinner later that day.

Good luck to you....I hope you find yours.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:03 PM
mountaineer magic

I hope you get her. It's a bad feeling when you can't find one but it sure is great feeling when you do. Let us know how it goes. Here if you leave one overnight you can count on the coyotes finding her before you get back out to look the next day.

Old 10-27-2011, 04:16 AM
Typical Buck

No dice. Searched for her for 5 hours yesterday morning and never seen anything. It is stupid though looking back on everything, hell i even flipped her over to see where i hit her. How could she have gotten away. I didnt want to reload for the sake of wasting a round if i could just slit her throat. Hind sight is 20/20 i guess. Better two rounds than a lost deer.
Old 10-27-2011, 04:23 AM
Fork Horn

Sorry to hear this.... it's funny how a person will replay the chain of events of what happened in their mind over and over again. I've been there and done that. It sucks.

Better luck next time.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:13 PM
mountaineer magic

Well you better get back out there and try again. It wouldn't be fair to cap smacker to leave her like that. You gotta let her at it again. :

Old 10-28-2011, 04:03 AM
Typical Buck

yeah that was the first deer i ever shot at with the gpr, hell of a way to start out its career huh lol.
Old 10-28-2011, 05:45 AM
Fork Horn

hell of a way to start out its career huh
There are worse ways to starts.
Old 10-30-2011, 10:45 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by sdhunter11
No dice. hell i even flipped her over to see where i hit her. How could she have gotten away. I didnt want to reload for the sake of wasting a round if i could just slit her throat.
Remember that an animal will always die with its eyes open.
And if the eyes aren't open then the animal is not dead but only unconscious.
So when approaching downed game always examine its eyes first.
I wouldn't recommend using a knife to slit a deer's throat. Animals have wild muscles that are 10 times stronger than human muscles and are capable of unanticipated rapid and violent and movements.
Slitting a deer's throat incorrectly may not even kill it since they can breath right through a slit that's made in the trachea.

Last edited by arcticap; 10-30-2011 at 11:16 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.