Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
zeroing question/help????? >

zeroing question/help?????

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

zeroing question/help?????

Old 10-22-2011, 04:39 PM
Spike

Default zeroing question/help?????

i have a traditions lightning with the 209 convertion, shooting 235gr polimer tipped sabots with 100gr hodgdon pyrodex pellets.
if my gun is perfectly zeroed at 50 yards am i way out at 100???
my buddy is telling me that i'm better to be perfect at 25yrd then i'll be zeroed perfect at 100.
i think i"m right perfect at 50 +/- an inch at 100.
can someone settle this for us??

And we can't settle it ourselves for another week, thats when we will be able to go to the gravel pit and shoot for ourselves.
Old 10-22-2011, 05:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

All my life I've heard people say sight in at XX yards and you are dead on at 100...

What is so hard about getting on paper at XX yards and then verifying at different ranges???

I simply don't trust taking short cuts...I've always shot my guns at different ranges so when I get a shot in the field I know where my gun is hitting...

Now, my opinion is if you are dead on at 100 yards then you are going to be about an inch high at 50 and dang close to dead on at 25...
Old 10-22-2011, 05:11 PM
Fork Horn

Remember there is Theory and Reality, need to shoot the load and see what your adjustments if any need to be made..Also the height of the scope will also matter in the realm of things..
Old 10-22-2011, 05:29 PM
Typical Buck

As the other have said, I would verify for myself.

I know with my set up, if i am zeroed at 100, i am 2" high at 50
Old 10-22-2011, 05:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yep, with my setup zeroed at 100 yards, I'm also 2" high at 50 yards.
Old 10-23-2011, 06:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

A good rule of thumb is about 1" to 2" high at 50 yards for a 100 yard zero. However there are alot of variables, so that can be off. The height of your sights to the bore. The height of your scope to the bore. The velocity of the projectile.

The only good way to know is to shoot it at that distance. But sometimes that is not possible. So if you are shooting a fast sabot at 2,000 fps or so the go 1" high at 50 yards. A slow mover at 1300 or 1400 fps then go for 2" at 50. As a general rule. You will definitely be close enough to kill any deer you want to shoot out to 100 yards. Tom.