Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
209 vs no.11 bullet impact help!!!!!! >

209 vs no.11 bullet impact help!!!!!!

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

209 vs no.11 bullet impact help!!!!!!

Old 10-21-2011, 10:58 AM
Spike

I would shoot powder but i live in the in the midle of no where manitoba canada and the 1 store i can get hunting supplies doesn't carry loose power and it can't be shipped thru the mail here. I'm also not driving 4.5 hours to get loose powder. pellets work, I'm just shooting a whitetail, i'm just looking for something that works, not top notch performance.

Thanks for all your help.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not going to lie, In one muzzle loader I had, I couldn't get it to group well at all with loose powder. 4-5" groups with Pyrodex. With the same bullet, sabots, and 2 Pyrodex pellets it started shooting right around 1"-1.5" groups. I never could figure it out.

In the one I have now, it shoots the powder and pellets nearly identical. I can't tell a difference between the two other than the pellets are much easier to handle out in the field, and I don't have to worry about carrying a ton of stuff to the range to measure out the powder.

That said, I prefer pellets, and the only downside I've found is the price. Sometimes I shoot loose powder at the range just to save on costs.

As for the #11 caps, I also have had that issue, and I'm not a fan of #11 caps, although that's what the gun I have now takes, so it's what I have to use. The issue I have isn't that the cap doesn't ignite the powder, but that the cap doesn't go off on the first try. It usually will on the second.

I've not converted one to 209 primers, so I can't comment on how that will affect it.
Old 10-21-2011, 12:22 PM
Dominant Buck

Since your shooting pellets with a #11 cap, when you change over to 209 primers there will be a difference. Simply because of the degree of ignition fire. #11 caps are not considered strong enough for pellets although I know from personal experience it will set them off. I am guessing your problems.. when the weather gets nasty up there, is because of the #11 caps and shooting pellets.

Personally I would change to loose Pyrodex RS and stick with the caps. You'd have just as good ignition, cheaper shooting, less fouling, and the accuracy should be the same if not better.
Old 10-21-2011, 12:24 PM
Dominant Buck

after seeing your new post... I agree. Stick with what is local. And change to 209 primers. It will be a little different but not much, and your ignition speed should improve a lot. Good luck.
Old 10-21-2011, 12:34 PM
Spike

Thank you for all your help!!!
I'm sighting it in at 1.high at 50yrds so that way i should be zeroed at 125.

Thanks for everyones help, putting the kit in tonight, going to shoot it tomorrow.