Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Thompson Center Impact 50 cal. >

Thompson Center Impact 50 cal.

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Thompson Center Impact 50 cal.

Old 12-14-2018, 10:40 AM
Typical Buck

Default Thompson Center Impact 50 cal.

I been looking for a new muzzel loader after missing again this year.
I had a 50 cal. Thunderhawk that took a lot if deer over time in late black powder season,should of never sold it .
The rifle now gave 2 misses one last year and again this week.
The cva optima with thumhole stock shoot outstanding for me at the been.
Hunting up north pile on winter clothes the LOP is just to long for me.
I see myself fighting to get a good scope picture.
I even tried moving the scope to the rear but that one piece mount you can only go so far to the rear.
I was reading on Thompson center Impact has a spacer should solve my problem.
I like to here some user reviews on the gun
Old 12-14-2018, 12:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Do you know that the CVA Scout, Hunter and Optima share the same buttstock and they have a "youth" buttstock for the Scout/Hunter 13" LOP on the compact stock.
http://shop.cva.com/pc_product_detai...E12EBE807F3E0B

The Optima V2, Scout, and Hunter all share the same buttstock
Old 12-14-2018, 04:27 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by lonewolf5348
I had a 50 cal. Thunderhawk that took a lot if deer over time in late black powder season,should of never sold it....

I was reading on Thompson center Impact has a spacer should solve my problem.
I like to here some user reviews on the gun
Right now there's a stainless & synthetic Thunderhawk for sale on Gunbroker for $180 "Buy it now":--->>> https://www.gunbroker.com/item/793002803

Traditions has 2 with a 24" barrel and a 13" LOP, the Buckstalker Youth and the Ladies Whitetail Pursuit G4 Compact (but you'd want to paint the stock).

I've read that the Impact has great accuracy but it does have that "break open hood design" action that has drawn some comments.
But if that doesn't bother you then the chances are that you might like it.
The Impact LOP is either 12.5" or 13.5" with the 1 inch spacer, the barrel is 26", weight 6.5 lbs.

Last edited by arcticap; 12-14-2018 at 04:30 PM.
Old 12-15-2018, 04:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

The impact has 1 inch spacers in the stock that are remove able it is the low end on price of the TC's but shoots just as good as the other TC's. The CVA's have come a long way toward better quality in the past 5 years but in your circumstances I would go with the impact which allows a simple adjustment to change the stock length.
Old 12-15-2018, 06:40 AM
Fork Horn

Here's an Impact compared to an Accura, sorry no Optima to compare. The Optima would be a half inch shorter than the Accura. The measured length of pull on the Accura is spot-on at 14.5", the Impact is longer than advertised, it measures 13.75" with the hammer cocked and the 1" spacer installed. The Impact is topped with a Nikon Omega with 5" of eye relief, a one piece base and Warne rings. The Accura has a Nikon ProStaff with 3.6" of eye relief and the supplied one piece base/ring combo from CVA.

I don't care for the supplied one piece base/ring combo, I prefer a one piece base with Warne steel rings like on the Impact in the photo but I'm not sure if you would gain any adjustment by going that route on the CVA. The Impact is a good shooting rife, the sliding hood design is ok, it works, but I like the lever on the trigger guard better. I did shim the barrel to action fit on the Impact, it was a little wobbly from the factory. The weathershield on the Impact barrel is holding up well, I wouldn't get a blued muzzleloader from TC, they always seem to have rust on them in the stores.

If your Optima is shooting good at the range, I don't think you will gain anything from the Impact accuracy wise, but you will get a shorter LOP, not much, but a little shorter than buying a youth CVA buttstock.

Old 12-16-2018, 02:50 AM
Typical Buck

i have the t/c impact & yes it does have the accuracy of other t/c guns . i got a bushnell 1x4 scope on it . i mainly use it for spot & stock hunting in thick area's & have taken quite a few deer with it .i don't mind the hood design to open it. the only thing i wished they would of done was to put a different breech plug on it . take a wrench or socket to remove. but in all it is a good gun . right now i seen them as low as 189 & get a 25 dollar rebate not a bad price of 165. i use bh 209 & barnes 300 gr expanders in it .but right now i'm using a tradition's striker fire ldr. but i just picked up another striker fire with a shorter barrel on clearence for 300 & they gave me the open sights & cleaning & accessories kit that was 100 alone so i look at it as a 200 gun & love the accelertor breech plug 3 turns & it's out

Last edited by t.shaffer; 12-16-2018 at 02:57 AM.
Old 12-16-2018, 10:36 AM
Typical Buck

I stopped by the local gun shop yesterday they had a impact on the shelf.
I did not like the way it handled.
The gun is barrel heavy and those ears in the back to open the action was a pain..
I sure miss my Thunderhawk even though the blow back cooks the bottom of the scope.
I read a few post on the diamond XR I wonder was this the rifle that replaced the Thunderhawk and Firehawk.
The diamond XR igintion still number 11 Caps or a 209 shotgun primer