Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Prescription glasses and open sights >

Prescription glasses and open sights

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Prescription glasses and open sights

Old 10-14-2011, 09:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Prescription glasses and open sights

My decision to start shooting my Omega X7 with the peep sight instead of a scope seems to have coincided with my eyesight taking a nose dive. My eye doc even had the friggin nerve to suggest progressive lenses (fancy bi-focals)!

So does anyone use prescription glasses with open sights? If so, what do you use, your distance prescription, intermediate, or some other combination?
Old 10-14-2011, 09:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

I wear bifocals and use the distance portion. It works fine with peep sights but much less so with regular open sights.
Old 10-14-2011, 09:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by hubby11
My decision to start shooting my Omega X7 with the peep sight instead of a scope seems to have coincided with my eyesight taking a nose dive. My eye doc even had the friggin nerve to suggest progressive lenses (fancy bi-focals)!

So does anyone use prescription glasses with open sights? If so, what do you use, your distance prescription, intermediate, or some other combination?
I have totally given up hunting with glasses, actually did it a long time ago. I can not stand glasses as they are constantly fogging and causing problems seeing the sights correctly even a bit with scopes...

OFall things, my eye doctor who is also a hunter and works at the local COSTCO... says you know you do not have to wear glasses to hunt and still you will be able to see well. At that point he had my attention.

He set me up with disposable contact lens... they are straight power power no bifocal so in my right eye (sighting eye) I wear the presecribled straight powerd lens a -3.00 power lens in my left eye the prescribed lens is -3.25 so in that eye he had me go to -4.25. Everything in the world is rosie.... I am suppose to be wearing bifocals (or progressives + astigmatism correction) for reading. With the combination he has me set for I can read and shoot and see well with out ant other help - except very small print in low light.

Works for me...
Old 10-14-2011, 09:55 AM
Spike

I also wear bifocals, switched to a peep sight, Groups now look like they did when I was without glasses.

Good kuck, Stan
Old 10-14-2011, 10:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

I buy straight power glasses off the rack. They work much better than my bifocals for peep sights and open sights.
Old 10-15-2011, 05:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the comments. Last time I went to an optomitrist, I explained I needed some glasses to shoot open sights. She knew nothing about shooting so I explained the concept - three focal planes and so forth. She recommended intermediate lenses. So I got special glasses for shooting - lights sensing and safety lenses - only to find out I could not focus on the target. The sights were clear. So I figure I need distance lenses. Better the target is clear and the sights a little blurry (the peep is supposed to be blurry anyway). Figured I'd find out what others are using before I dropped the cash again.
Old 10-15-2011, 06:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

There probably is only one cure to old people's eyes.

What i used to do is hope, and hope, and hope, the State would legalize 1X scopes during the muzzle loader season. That way, everything my eyes saw would be in the same plane when sighting. This has never come to pass, and i guess it won't any time soon. Iron sights only will be required during the muzzle loader seasons. When Nebraska, and North Dakota moved to allow 1X scopes during their muzzle loader seasons, i found me a real nice 1X scope on eBay, but i guess i will never use it.

The first thing one just about must do is install a peep sight. Once the peep is installed, one of the 3 planes has been removed. My eyes still cannot focus on the front sight so very good, so my situation isn't fixed. The next step for me is to squint until the front sight looks round, and then when it is in the right place, squeeze the trigger. For those that wear glasses, a good option may be those chingadero, that stick onto the glasses with a small hole in them. Small holes can/will act like a lens, increase what is called 'depth of field', help old eyes focus on the front sight, and also allow the target to be in sharp focus.
Old 10-15-2011, 06:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

My eyes.....Right eye..100% blind.

Left eye.....Can't see close.....Can't see distance....Needs cataract surgery, but they don't want to do it, because of being blind in the other eye.....No depth perception, because sight in only one eye.

Everything in focus with a peep sight except rear sight. Of course everything is perfect with a scope. The DOW has given me a special permit to use a scope in ML season, because of crap vision, but i'd rather not use it on a sidelock.

I know bad vision, but I won't let it stop me from hunting. Just figure out what works for you. You don't have to jump to a scope so easily.

I have to wonder how popular inlines would be if every state was like Colorado that doesn't allow scopes?