Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
traditional vs. modern >

traditional vs. modern

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

traditional vs. modern

Old 10-13-2011, 07:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Traditional Because I don't have an inline , LOL
Old 10-13-2011, 07:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
Different strokes for different folks. I don't have even the tiniest desire for a smokeless ML.
Semi, 5 years ago I uttered those exact same words. I'm not sure when or why I changed my mind but my best guess that at some point I asked myself "Why not?" and I haven't been able to give myself a good answer.

I'm sure you can relate to conversatons with yourself
Old 10-13-2011, 07:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

I'm sure you can relate to conversatons with yourself
That I can TN, that I can. But I try not to pay attention because of all the nonsense.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

45 SMLs give you the largest variety of projectile and powder choices of any ML i can imagine. You can shoot big lead conicals with subs/Real black. You can shoot sabotless 45s upto 2500fps with ease and even BH209 makes excellent fps used this way. Plus of course 45x40 sabots past 2800 fps and it will handle the heavier 40s like the PR QTs or DCs even better than slower twist sub guns.

50cal SMLs can do many of the same things very well except shooting 50x40s usually and sabotless is a bigger PITA since the sizing dies are pretty much custom order only. My NULA though is a nice light gun that shoots sabots/bullets in the 225-275gr range fantastic upto 2300fps and never needs more than 43gr of powder. It was the one that sparked my interest just because its so light and recoil is surprisingly mild. The Savage 50 barely got my attention compared to the GMB54 for hunting.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 10-13-2011 at 08:33 PM.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:35 PM
Banned

no one ever shoots subs and conicals out of their smokeless muzzleloader, at least non that i have seen. Ive always wanted to see a savage shoot conicals but it never pops up.
Old 10-14-2011, 01:05 AM
Typical Buck

I mostly use traditional guns when target shooting at the range.
And only a modern scoped inline for BP deer hunting.
It sure is a joy to be able to use a scoped inline compared to the old days before the hunting regulations were rewritten to allow both magnifying scopes and inlines.
Prior to that, muzzle loading was the earliest firearms deer season here while now it's at the very end.

Last edited by arcticap; 10-14-2011 at 01:14 AM.
Old 10-14-2011, 04:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

A smokeless muzzleloader is the biggest abortion i've ever seen.

It uses smokeless powder, a modern smokeless bullet, and a smokeless primer. All that's missing is the brass case. Which is replaced by the barrel. Then it's scoped like a smokeless scope. It even uses the trigger from a smokeless gun.

It belongs in the rifle season with all the rest of the smokeless guns. Which is the only place it's legal in Colorado. The states that allow it in ML season have their head up their azz.

My unbiased opinion.
Old 10-14-2011, 04:52 AM
Typical Buck

that was kinda where i was getting to muley, is muzzleloading even muzzleloading, i mean we can jack up loads and have scopes with drop points out to 250 yrds, can you believe it. It defeats the purpose of muzzleloading IN MY OPINION.
Old 10-14-2011, 05:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

The purpose of muzzleloading varies greatly from shooter to shooter. I am kind of stuck in the middle. My inlines are plunger guns with #11 caps. I also have a Great Plains rifle. You know if I lived further West where longer shots seem to be the norm I might be interested in one of the newer rifles to expand my range. Where I hunt a 100 yard shot rarely presents itself.
I just don't get my undies in a bundle over what someone else wants to shoot.
Old 10-14-2011, 05:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

The spirit of muzzleloading seems to be getting lost.

No matter. When i'm in the mountains alone with my GPR. It all seems right.

I'll be hun ting the GPR in the later rifle seasons from now on. I don't like the heat of the ML season. Sept is too early to be hunting.

Hunting with the smokeless rifle hunters isn't much different than hunting with the inlines hunters, so no big deal.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.