Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
what type of black powder >

what type of black powder

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

what type of black powder

Old 10-12-2011, 09:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default what type of black powder

I talked to my wife last night on the way to dinner about buying an bulk of powder. that it was an good idea if it saves us money.

now my problem is, I have only used goex 2f limited to do how much I paid for it.

what I am thinking about is either an type of sample pack set up. 2 lbs each of goex 3f, grafs brand 3f and schuetzen 3f

any suggestions? anything else I could try?
Old 10-12-2011, 10:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Graf powder is bought from Schuetzen in bulk, and put in their containers. So, no sense in buying both.

The best BP you can get is Swiss, but it's expensive. Cleaner burning than the rest of the BP's, very consistent, and the power close to T7. It's all i'll use for hunting.
Old 10-12-2011, 10:19 AM
Banned

goex or swiss would be my choice but i dont think the grafs would be a bad deal either.

If you buy a 25lb case, im flying over for a visit!
Old 10-12-2011, 10:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

I use FFF Goex for everything...Inline, flintlocks and priming...

Even thinking about drinking it in my coffee in the morning for fiber...
Old 10-12-2011, 10:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by nchawkeye
I use FFF Goex for everything...Inline, flintlocks and priming...

Even thinking about drinking it in my coffee in the morning for fiber...
Don't have a smoke with your coffee.
Old 10-12-2011, 10:47 AM
Fork Horn

If money is tight I would get Goex 3F if you can afford it Swiss 3F is the best performance wise. I doubt bambi could tell the difference though.
Old 10-12-2011, 10:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

Bambi probably couldn't, but Elmer the Elk could.
Old 10-12-2011, 10:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Where are you going to order it from? If you are going to be ordering from Powder Valley let me know as maybe we can get a group buy together to save some on shipping.
Old 10-12-2011, 11:15 AM
Dominant Buck

The best powder is Swiss of course. I used Schuetzen powder before and prefer it over Graf's or Goex. I know Wano makes Graf's and Schuetzen but I am not sure they are one and the same. A lot of time powders are distinguished by the kind of wood they use to make the charcoal for the powder. Although Goex, Graf's Schuetzen while are about equal, I still picked Schuetzen. But here is something that might influence your pick..

I had a telephone conversation with a forum member yesterday about powders. And he mentioned that Swiss no longer accepts the metal or plastic pour spouts. So out of curiosity (and having gotten my case of Schuetzen in the same day.. checked one of their bottles and low and behold.. its metric. The caps don't fit that either. But I think if I teflon tape the threads, I can get a tight enough seal to work with the bottle...

Also I shoot more 2f then 3f. I just like it better.
Old 10-12-2011, 11:20 AM
Fork Horn

Dave, I took an empty bottle of T7 poured Swiss in it and put a pour spout on it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.