HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Power Belt Bullets Question (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/351185-power-belt-bullets-question.html)

Kosherboy 10-09-2011 11:32 AM

Power Belt Bullets Question

1 Attachment(s)
Any of you ever shot these copper Power belt Bullets from an old style side Hammer Muzzle loader ? Is it safe to shoot ?

cayugad 10-09-2011 11:50 AM

I have shot them out of my Lyman Great Plains Hunter which has a 1-32 twist. Also they shoot well out of my Lyman Trade Rifle that has a 1-48 twist. Just don't push them too hard, and all you can do is try them and see how they shoot.

Now I am sure you will see comments posted about how poor some of the people here believe they work on game. All I can tell you is, some people like them, as they are a good selling bullet, and others hate them. Just try them and make up your own mind.

If your rifle has a 1-48 twist, you might want to try roundballs.

Muley Hunter 10-09-2011 12:01 PM

A 1-48 twist or faster will shoot them ok.

Accuracy isn't the problem. Terminal performance is what some guys don't like about PB's.

GPMD 10-09-2011 12:11 PM

I'll be the first to come in on the anti powerbelt side. First off, these bullets load super easy and are the most accurate bullet I ever tried. With that said, I shot at 3 deer with them, first one was a tougher shot, never found any blood or sign of deer so I assumed i missed. Second one was a 50yd broadside shot. Same thing, never found blood and was shocked i missed. Next day I went walking in direction deer ran and by pure luck I found him about 75 yards away hit square in the vitals. I back tracked and no blood at all. Deer had no exit wound at all. 3rd deer was 35yds. Due to smoke i couldn't see deers reaction but as I said, these bullets are super accurate and I had a steady rest at a broadside deer at a short distance. No blood and i walked and walked. Never found that doe. I still didnt blame the bullets until i started reading others with same experience. I quit those bullets from that point on.

Kosherboy 10-09-2011 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by GPMD (Post 3858661)
I'll be the first to come in on the anti powerbelt side. First off, these bullets load super easy and are the most accurate bullet I ever tried. With that said, I shot at 3 deer with them, first one was a tougher shot, never found any blood or sign of deer so I assumed i missed. Second one was a 50yd broadside shot. Same thing, never found blood and was shocked i missed. Next day I went walking in direction deer ran and by pure luck I found him about 75 yards away hit square in the vitals. I back tracked and no blood at all. Deer had no exit wound at all. 3rd deer was 35yds. Due to smoke i couldn't see deers reaction but as I said, these bullets are super accurate and I had a steady rest at a broadside deer at a short distance. No blood and i walked and walked. Never found that doe. I still didnt blame the bullets until i started reading others with same experience. I quit those bullets from that point on.

How Many Grains of Powder were you using and what kind of powder ?

sdhunter11 10-09-2011 01:47 PM

My father shot them for awhile out of his .50 cal tc omega but could not get them to group so he tried some hornady xtp's and never looked back.

lemoyne 10-09-2011 06:06 PM

If you decide you must use them plug the hollow point. PB are the poorest bullet made and expensive to boot but if for some reason you must use them plugging the hollow point is all it takes to make them work terminally.

MountainDevil54 10-09-2011 08:44 PM

our cva hawken 1:48 loves the 250gr powerbelt aerolites with 90 and 100gr american pioneer 2f. Awesome groups @ 50 yards. Still have to try 100 yards next.

That rifle looks like a traditions? Should do well with the powerbelts, just read the manual and see what the max charge is.

arcticap 10-09-2011 10:26 PM

FWIW, the rifle photo posted in the OP is the Pedersoli Country Hunter which is made in both flint and percussion. According to the Pedersoli website, both versions have a 28 3/8" barrel, weighs 5.73 pounds and has a 1 in 34" twist.

It's sold at Cherry's Fine Guns:

http://www.cherrys.com/ped_rif2.htm

MountainDevil54 10-09-2011 10:49 PM

oh good! The 1:34 twist should do really well with the Powerbelts.