Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Power Belt Bullets Question >

Power Belt Bullets Question

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Power Belt Bullets Question

Old 10-10-2011, 08:30 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Kosherboy
How Many Grains of Powder were you using and what kind of powder ?
I was definitely using pyrodex pellets, I want to say I was using 100 grains but that was back about 4 or 5 years ago when I thought more was better so I wouldn't be surprised if I was using 150 grains as I used to shoot both. Either way, I never had such negative results with any other bullet. I thought for the price they must be good. Actually those bullets probably helped me in the long run, it taught me high price doesn't always mean better product!
Old 10-10-2011, 08:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by GPMD
I was definitely using pyrodex pellets, I want to say I was using 100 grains but that was back about 4 or 5 years ago when I thought more was better so I wouldn't be surprised if I was using 150 grains as I used to shoot both. Either way, I never had such negative results with any other bullet. I thought for the price they must be good. Actually those bullets probably helped me in the long run, it taught me high price doesn't always mean better product!
Rumors say that might be the problem. Magnum loads at close range blow up the PB. No penetration. No blood trail.
Old 10-10-2011, 05:01 PM
Fork Horn

I have shot 2 deer with 295 gr powerbelts aerotips. the one in my avatar only ran 50 yrds and piled up. The other ran 20 yards and droped. exit wounds on both and no problem with blood trails. i shoot a cva wolf. 100 hogdon triple 7 pellets. I Bought the hollow points this time we will see how these work. but i can't complain about the aerotips.
Old 10-11-2011, 02:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

My experience with PBs is imited. But their accuracy cannot be denied. With the right charge, they are exceptionally accurate. And loadability is a snap. As for a hunting bullet, I only ever shot one deer with a PB. A big old doe, a very big old doe. I used a .50 cal 245 gr HP and hit her square in the vitals, broadside at 20 yds. She went about 75 yds before expiring. The blood trail was there, but not real good. And no exit wound.
Looking back, and reading a lot of posts on the PB, I would have to say that I also may have been pushing it too hard, using 100 gr of FFFg.
Old 10-11-2011, 04:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

I called up PB to talk about their bullets. I mentioned the bullets coming apart for some hunters. They told me the Platinum bullets were made for magnum loads, and would hold together better.

I'm not sure how true that is, but it's worth a try.
Old 10-11-2011, 06:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
I called up PB to talk about their bullets. I mentioned the bullets coming apart for some hunters. They told me the Platinum bullets were made for magnum loads, and would hold together better.

I'm not sure how true that is, but it's worth a try.
Let me know how you do ??
Old 10-11-2011, 07:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Rumors say that might be the problem. Magnum loads at close range blow up the PB. No penetration. No blood trail.
Magnum charges aren't the problem, it's the bullet. I have had the same exact problem with them an I'm not shooting a magnum charge. Everyone of the guys I hunt with has the exact same problem too, and the majority of them are shooting 100 grains of Pyrodex pellets. Most of them have switched to something else, but a couple of the guys still insist on using them because that's what the gunshop told them was the best, and every year they complain about the same issues I had with them.

You can get bullets for half of the price that perform 10x better.

That said, they are very accurate, or always have been for me.
Old 10-12-2011, 05:37 AM
Spike

I used 100 gr triple 7 pyrodex with a pb.The pb hit bone a shattered.I switched to tc xtp now with out any problems.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

I was only passing on some info. For the record. I only shoot a round ball now.

If I was to shoot a conical. I'd shoot this.

http://thorbullets.com/
Old 10-13-2011, 04:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot Hornady FPBs. They are a full-bore bullet like the PowerBelt, so no sabot required. They come in 300 and 350 gr, so one should shoot well enough in your gun. These have performed great for me on 5 deer so far. All pass-throughs, short blood trails.

FPBs can be tricky to load, but that can be solved by pre-sizing. Just run them nose-first through the bore of an inline gun, or make a sizing block out of wood or other material.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.