Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Oh no......smokeless !! >

Oh no......smokeless !!

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Oh no......smokeless !!

Old 10-05-2011, 05:17 PM
Fork Horn

Looks great! Be even better once you tighten the group up.
Old 10-05-2011, 05:20 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by batchief909
Looks great! Be even better once you tighten the group up.
Batchief, you always crack me up!! Thanks buddy.
Old 10-05-2011, 05:24 PM
Fork Horn

LOL!! Good shooting, bro!
Old 10-05-2011, 05:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

You need another inch higher to be under 3" low at 200.
Old 10-05-2011, 05:43 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Gm54-120
200yds is just under the 2nd line on the DOA 600 scope with that load.
Old 10-06-2011, 01:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

Very nice. Better than a lot of centerfire rifles can shoot. Looks like you have a keeper there.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks. What makes them able to shoot smokeless? Is it the receiver and BP, or a combination of everything, including the barrel? What are we looking at, price-wise? How heavy is it? One thing I like about my Omega is how light it is.

I'm very interested in this. I can see the appeal of using black powder/subs in a more traditional gun. If I ever own a more traditional gun, I will use real BP exclusively with it. But when shooting a modern inline, I see no reason to use BP or subs, which are inferior to smokeless powder.

Honestly, except for making the gun conform to a wider variety of state hunting laws, I don’t see why manufacturers don’t make more modern inlines capable of using smokeless. There is absolutely no advantage to using BP or subs over smokeless. If you are looking for limitations on your weapon, go more traditional. I generally want any hunting gun I have to be as diverse as possible. I don’t need a gun to set limitations on what I shoot or don’t shoot. If I decide I only want to kill within 30 yards, I can make that decision and hold myself accountable to it. If I see something I want to take 200 yards away (elk, if I ever draw a KY tag!), I want to have the ability to make that choice. Most likely, I will use my ML throughout regular gun season just because they are generally lighter than firearms with other action types.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by 7.62NATO
Thanks. What makes them able to shoot smokeless? Is it the receiver and BP, or a combination of everything, including the barrel? What are we looking at, price-wise? How heavy is it? One thing I like about my Omega is how light it is.

I'm very interested in this. I can see the appeal of using black powder/subs in a more traditional gun. If I ever own a more traditional gun, I will use real BP exclusively with it. But when shooting a modern inline, I see no reason to use BP or subs, which are inferior to smokeless powder.

Honestly, except for making the gun conform to a wider variety of state hunting laws, I don’t see why manufacturers don’t make more modern inlines capable of using smokeless. There is absolutely no advantage to using BP or subs over smokeless. If you are looking for limitations on your weapon, go more traditional. I generally want any hunting gun I have to be as diverse as possible. I don’t need a gun to set limitations on what I shoot or don’t shoot. If I decide I only want to kill within 30 yards, I can make that decision and hold myself accountable to it. If I see something I want to take 200 yards away (elk, if I ever draw a KY tag!), I want to have the ability to make that choice. Most likely, I will use my ML throughout regular gun season just because they are generally lighter than firearms with other action types.
I felt the same way. When I used inlines I used them in the rifle season, and BH 209 sometimes. Which is just a detuned smokeless powder. Why not just go all the way and use smokeless powder in the Savage. I've read they have less recoil with more fps than BP/subs. That alone appeals to me. I'm not a fan of hard recoiling guns.

My 9.5 lb GPR with 2F BP is pleasant to shoot. Even with a steel buttplate.

Get the Savage. I bet you'll like it. It even has the Accutrigger like the CF guns. Probably the best trigger on the market for a production gun.
Old 10-06-2011, 08:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Gm54-120
Omega45 has that shooting really well.

4198 and N110 are much better choices of powder in the 45caliber.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:42 AM
Typical Buck

7.62NATO,

Savages come in .50 caliber only unless you buy a used one that was rebarreled to .45.

A combination of things make it smokeless capable, breechplug, new barrel, recoil lug, hunter bolt conversion and strong action. Not a cheap build, well it actually is cheap if you look into some other custom smokeless guns, but worth every penny. No swabbing, heck do not even clean the bore if you don't feel like it. I have just been decarboning my breechplug after every range session.

Grouse,
As far as powder goes, I switched to R7 just to play with and found my accuracy load. Heard its a little better in colder weather also. Never had any issues with H4198. Actually have had no ignition issues at all. Gun goes bang when the trigger is pulled. N120 is on my list to get but not commonly found in my area. Reports of N120 being used is looking great, but it's also $10 more.

7.62NATO,
I forgot to mention PRB's are not recommended in these guns.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.