Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
I was a bad monkey today bad bad >

I was a bad monkey today bad bad

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

I was a bad monkey today bad bad

Old 09-28-2011, 03:09 PM
Typical Buck

thanks everyone got the plunger out its a 11 cap one....it looks really good....I put a lightstick down the bore it has some light rust I used some jb on it seems to be comming out.. bore's bright i'm thinking its good at worse it minor.I just got to get the breachplug out. lightsticks 6 inches so I haven't seen that part of the bore...head0001...I need the breachplug tool thats for sure....rifleing looks good I got it standing up with oil down the barrel
Old 09-28-2011, 03:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Either Kroil or PB Blaster would work good at loosening up that Breech plug. There should be someplace where you can get the wrench, one end is for the nipple and the other is for the breech plug. If the bore turns out good you will have a great rifle there. I have that exact stock on one of mine. Congrats.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

They actually made two different tools for the nipple and breech plug removal.

The first plug had the nipple remover on one end. And the slotted screw driver on the other end.

Then they made a second one that only had the nipple remover on one end. And the nipple remover is the most important part. After you take the nipple out you simply use a large screwdriver to remove the breech plug.

I have both tools. But I only have one extra of the nipple only remover. So if you can use that I will ship it to you for $13. That should be a very fair price.

As I said I have both, but the only extra I have is the one in the picture below. If you want it just send me a PM and we can work out the details. Tom.

Old 09-28-2011, 04:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by HEAD0001
That was a super deal. I have no idea why those rifles do not hold their value. IMO they are one of the best rifles ever made.
Me either, but they don't seem to. I have a buddy that had one in a blued barrel and a black stock and he was trying to sell it to me for $50 last year. It finally sold right before muzzle loading season. His wasn't in perfect shape, but it wasn't bad either. Looked about like the one picture above condition wise. His shot really well, and I'd have bought it if it wasn't for the fact that I wanted one with the SS barrel and that used 209 primers instead of musket caps.

I see muzzle loaders in the local classifieds here all the time from $75-200 and lots of them are in good shape, and most of them have a scope on them. I'm just not sure why they don't hold their values.