Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
sabots for sidelocks >

sabots for sidelocks

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

sabots for sidelocks

Old 09-22-2011, 09:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'd go with the Getz...
Old 09-22-2011, 06:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

You know I was searching the forum and typed the word renegade in and found an interesting post by Muley six months ago the self proclaimed RB king had his own doubts - see below - not trying to be a clown but seems one should choose their battles wisely

My hunting gun this year for elk is going to be my Renegade .54. I plan on using the stock barrel instead of the GM barrel. It's a good shooter, and I like the shorter length for hunting.

Now, i'm sure a PRB with enough powder will be fine for elk. I have this little voice in my head telling me I need more bullet. Just in case I need a bit longer shot than the PRB is capable of doing. Maybe a slight quartering shot will be needed.

Anyway, with that little voice in my head that I can't shut up. I went to the gun shop today to look around. The shooting range is on the way home, so I took my gun and stuff just in case I found something.

It had the usual shelf fum of Powerbelts. I looked at the .54 348 gr. I'm not a big fan of Powerbelts, but a 348 gr would surely do a better job than a 225gr PRB. Maybe.

Not a lot of choices for .54, but I noticed a small yellow box over in the corner. I picked it up, and it was some TC Maxi Balls in 430gr .54 cal. They sure had the weight I was looking for, but would they fit and shoot good in my gun? I bought them, and I wanted some powder with a bit more punch than my BP. So, I bought some T7 3F.

I stopped at the range on the way home, and loaded a Maxi with 80 gr of T7. Pretty sloppy to load. They were covered with Bore Butter. They started easy, and slid down pretty easy.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

It doesn't hurt to experiment in the off season when you're bored.

In the end I went with the PRB and got my elk.

Got anything else? Remind me to not try and help you anymore.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

Zing! KaPow!

It's really no big deal Brnkarrow. Like the rest of us, Muley is only human* and his thoughts may change now and then. On the other hand, he's pretty old and my not always remember what his convictions are.

* I know - that may be debatable.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have swayed off the mark, because of my crappy eyesight. I want to use a scope, bu it rubs me the wrong way.

I've settled on the limit of my eyesight now, and use guns that fit that limit. Plus I just like sidelocks better.

It the rifle season i've gone to a lever 44-40 loaded with BP and open sights. 75 yd gun.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Like I said wasn't trying to be a prk but seen that post and made me chuckle,all in fun and appreciate any and all advice - still wanting to and my next purchase will most likely be a .54 GM in 1:70 but you mentioned it added weight how substantial is it - looks like it is that GM or find a .54 reney with the 26inch barrel ... I am addicted
thought nothing about that barrel for three days
Old 09-22-2011, 07:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

and sorry you guys will find out im a smartass in due time but meant no harm
Old 09-22-2011, 07:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

That's fine. I can get along with another smart ass like myself.

btw..Don't be surprised if you find older posts of mine when i'm shooting an inline with sabots. I get crazy when i'm bored.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
I have swayed off the mark, because of my crappy eyesight. I want to use a scope, bu it rubs me the wrong way.

I've settled on the limit of my eyesight now, and use guns that fit that limit. Plus I just like sidelocks better.

It the rifle season i've gone to a lever 44-40 loaded with BP and open sights. 75 yd gun.
I like sidelocks better also Muley. But you can't fight Mother Nature. Put a scope on that Renegade and live with one foot in each world. It don't hurt hardly at all.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

My thoughts exactly all year. That's why I was fooling around with inlines with scopes.

I'm glad I went primitive and got my elk this year. Now, I know I can do it. At some point I might go with a peep sight, but no scope anymore.