Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Accura and BH-209

Old 09-19-2011, 04:56 AM
Fork Horn

Default Accura and BH-209

I got out over the weekend with my CVA Accura and some BH-209. I tried the powder last year but had hang fires after the first shot. Ronlaughlin made me a Breech plug and I will say it performed flawlessly, 20+ plus shots without any hang fires. But I just could not get a good group to save my life. I tried 90 & 100gr charges and a bunch of sabot and bullet combinations with no luck. 3 to 4 in groups were the best I could do @ 100yds. Finally out of frustration I went back to my set up from last year, I put the OEM breech plug back in loaded up with two white hot pellets, Barnes TEZ 250gr with a MMP HPH-24 sabot and win 209 primer and was printing sub 1 inch groups again. For some reason my gun likes the white hots. I will play around with it again next year but for now with the season right around the corner I will stick with what works.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:29 AM
Banned

She'll shoot BH209 nicely.

One bullet off the counter i'd recommend are the 240gr hornady XTP's. I believe these come with the mmp-24 sabot. I bought a box a few weeks ago for $13 and my Optima would put 2 out of 3 shots touching at 100 yards.

Give that gun a good 10 minutes to cool down, maybe even more if you live in a hot area.

I'd be more than happy to take a look at the rifle for you if you wont be hunting with it this year. I can work up some loads for you with BH209 and figure out what she likes.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:07 AM
Boone & Crockett

If you're getting sub one-inch groups with something else, why even fool with Blackhorn?
Old 09-19-2011, 07:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

For now, stick with what's working and after the season try to work something up with the BH 209.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:54 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by builder459
For now, stick with what's working and after the season try to work something up with the BH 209.
That is my plan sir. I wanted to try the BH-209 for the easy clean up and no swabbing between shots. I can use the gun with confidence this season with the old set up. It is a tack driver using the white hot's.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by fusion
That is my plan sir. I wanted to try the BH-209 for the easy clean up and no swabbing between shots. I can use the gun with confidence this season with the old set up. It is a tack driver using the white hot's.
Go for it and your bullet choice was excellent.that Barnes TEZ will knock the snot out of whatever is hit with it.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:51 PM
Spike

Default sabot

Those barnes are top notch hunting bullets.....very very reliable
Old 09-20-2011, 06:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

3DTHUNDER aka Jeff Ratliff of Oakwood VA, could you please send me the reciever sight that I purchased from you 2 years ago? I am surprised to see you show your face on here.
http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/blac...mk-85-a-2.html

Last edited by flounder33; 09-20-2011 at 06:39 AM.