Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
I trust Knights and you should to. >

I trust Knights and you should to.

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

I trust Knights and you should to.

Old 09-17-2011, 04:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by chetmarks
Out of all the muzzleloaders I have shot , which is close to 50 different ones I have to respectfully disagree. Yes there are many that will group good but I can honestly say at this point none measure up to the Mountaineer. If a person had a chance to shoot one for a while they wouldn't complain about the price they would either save til they could get one or sell what they have to get one. Just my opinion of course, but based on experience. As matter of fact I regret getting my wife a Long Range Hunter now . I should have waited and got her a Mountaineer.
You mean to tell me that you make your wife lug around that heavy cannon while you do the light work? Maybe you ought to switch guns with her Chet.
Old 09-17-2011, 04:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by INRecordBookBuck
Are you still trying to say only a Knight can shoot this well??
Reread his post twice - don't see where he said this.
Old 09-17-2011, 04:50 PM
mountaineer magic

I will agree that is a good quality built gun but, as far as accuracy goes... there has still not been any proof on this forum or any other to prove that a knight is any more accurate than any other... So, seem to me as ausual it is just a preference to the shooter... i have yet to see a better 3 shot group at a 100yds. then the one that omega45 posted from his Omega and until i see one from a knight better than this three shot group, we all will just have to disagree about having to have a Knight to shoot tight groups.... That or maybe i need to get them grouse colored glasses....

I have to admit that is pretty good. My omega won't do that. Let him Take it to 200 now and see what happens . I would be interested in what I would have to do to mine to get those results. I didn't have to do anything to the Mountaineer. No glass bedding, no accurizing, nothing but unpack , clean and shoot. Never even worked up a load . Just tried 120 gr based on a suggestion and decided I didn't need to experiment. Some guns I have spent a couple hundred dollars in powder and bullets developing a load. If you figure that in it makes some of my cheaper guns just as expensive to get them where the Mountaineer was out of the box.

Old 09-17-2011, 04:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

My thing is hunting with a muzzleloader; rifle marksmanship is also my thing. Every year i shoot 15,000-40,000 rounds of center fire ammo and am a former amateur benchrest shooter. There are no inaccurate guns in my safes.

Getting accuracy from a muzzleloader is not rocket science. Some of us manage that very well without BH 209, and lots of other spiffy stuff that some folks claim is absolutely required.
Old 09-17-2011, 05:07 PM
mountaineer magic

Originally Posted by flounder33
You mean to tell me that you make your wife lug around that heavy cannon while you do the light work? Maybe you ought to switch guns with her Chet.
I probably should.... But I wont

Old 09-17-2011, 05:12 PM
Typical Buck

Chet, I bet it is still under the 4" guarantee that knight has I would bet well under, being that tight at 100yds.... but i guess i still dont wear the right glasses to see it your way...

for the bulk of us hunters we don't live in flat open spaces that 200yds is gonna matter... by the time I get back where the big bucks are, 95% of my shots are under 35yds... even if I hunt a field, usual shot will be under a hundred... so, being able to make that long of shot is a waste of time... and just out of the box and not having to work up a load in todays world should be pretty common... even when I bought my encore all I had to do was an internet search and like you, someone had already worked a good load up for me... so no wasted time or money, finding it...

I am very happy for you that you are happy with your purchase but to still imply only a knight shoots this well, just isn't true...
Old 09-17-2011, 05:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have sold. Owned. And shot every brand of MZ I can think of over the past 35+ years.

And have encountered some really good shooters, and some really horrific shooters. Here is what I have found over 35+ years of shooting MZ's.

The Knight rifle is consistently the most accurate of any brand I have ever seen. And the Knight rifle has also proven itself as being less finicky as to what type of projectile, and what load you wish to shoot. Knight's have pretty well shot(accurately) whatever projectile I choose to shoot.

I would rate the TC as second in line for accuracy. What I have noticed most about TC is that they wil shoot something well. You just have to find it. Some guys are lucky and find it fast, some don't.

In over 35+ years no doubt CVA MZ's have been the least accurate of all the brands. Even the traditions seem to have the edge over CVA.

When I was selling MZ's for a living I sent back three or four more times as many CVA's as all other MZ's combined. Sorry but that is a fact.

Obviously alot of that has to do with price point. No doubt. You would not expect to need to send back a $500+ MZ. But it is what it is. And you get what you pay for.

I do not doubt that some guys have received good results from certain different MZ's. And I am glad that worked out for you. But to try and compare a Pinto to a Cadillac is basically a futile waste of time. But if you wish to waste your time then go ahead. But everybody who really knows MZ's knows the truth. Pretty Simple.

There is alot more to a fine rifle than just accuracy. That is a point that is sometimes not talked about. But I dare you to compare a CVA trigger to a Knight trigger. Or quality of stock. Or other featues. So it is just not a small group that is important in a fine firearm. You need to keep that in mind.

If price is all you care about then I can understand that. But why would you knock someone because they want a higher quality rifle?? I don't understand??

And if you think that a CVA is built to the same quality level as a Knight rifle................ Well you are just plain wrong about that. Tom.

Last edited by HEAD0001; 09-17-2011 at 05:26 PM.
Old 09-17-2011, 05:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

I will agree that is a good quality built gun but, as far as accuracy goes... there has still not been any proof on this forum or any other to prove that a knight is any more accurate than any other... So, seem to me as ausual it is just a preference to the shooter... i have yet to see a better 3 shot group at a 100yds. then the one that omega45 posted from his Omega and until i see one from a knight better than this three shot group, we all will just have to disagree about having to have a Knight to shoot tight groups.... That or maybe i need to get them grouse colored glasses....

I really wanted to get this in before someone else but - did not make it...

Steve's Omega that shot this was not right out of the box... there were a few bucks spent on the rifle and believe me they were well spent. That is great looking rifle along with his others.
Old 09-17-2011, 05:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Triumphs,endeavors,moutaineers,LRH,accura's all of them are more than capable of 4" at 200 yds with all the wiz bang powders and primers. THIS IS what i am really impressed with lol..http://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/ph...er=asc&start=0
Old 09-17-2011, 05:30 PM
mountaineer magic

for the bulk of us hunters we don't live in flat open spaces that 200yds is gonna matter... by the time I get back where the big bucks are, 95% of my shots are under 35yds... even if I hunt a field, usual shot will be under a hundred... so, being able to make that long of shot is a waste of time...

I am very happy for you that you are happy with your purchase but to still imply only a knight shoots this well, just isn't true...
That's a valid point. I sometimes forget that the open plains where you can see for miles and miles is not the average hunting ground for most. And I never meant to imply that only knights shoot accurate, I only mean that the Knights I have are more accurate or were easier to find an accurate load for than any other gun I have. It something that can't be explained really. A person justdevelopers an affinity for a certain thing and others become secondary. For some it's TC, Cva or knight. Or fords instead of mopar etc. But once that affinity developes a person will stand up and defend their choice to the very end. for me that's the Mountaineer, at the moment anyway

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.