Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
LittleHorn draws first blood >

LittleHorn draws first blood

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

LittleHorn draws first blood

Old 09-12-2011, 04:05 AM
Typical Buck

Tell him Congrats!!! I can't wait to read the story!!
Old 09-12-2011, 04:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

That's great Chet, I'm looking forward to the story.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congratulations
Old 09-12-2011, 05:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Awesome.

:group wave:: groupwave::groupw ave::g roupwave:
Old 09-12-2011, 06:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats to the young fella!!! and I'm sure Dad isn't all too happy either.

HA
Old 09-12-2011, 06:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

That's awesome! Tell him congrats!

The joy in a kid's eyes at that age after a hunt is about the coolest thing I can think of.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:09 AM
Fork Horn

Congratulations to your son Chet. Congratulations are in order for you also...spending time with your kids taking them hunting.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

Alright....can't wait to hear the story and see the pics.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:38 AM
mountaineer magic

Now for the rest of the story :
We headed out about 2:30 pm. I had left the blind up in the shelter belt and figured I would take him to the same spot as his brother with the same plan. Temp was in the high 80's so I didn't think much would be moving. I was even wondering if anything would move before dark. Around 5:30 I saw 2 deer sneak through way east of us and head into the corn. I figured the blind had things spooked seeing that it was new intrusion into their area. But we were resolved to sit it out and see. Around 6:30 i tooked the tripod down , collapsed the legs and figured the last hour we would work the alfalfa field . Most of the time the deer bed down on tribal ground then mosey in to eat the alfalfa before dark. we were just getting ready to crawl out of the blind., but when I stood up I saw a fawn about 10 yards away then I saw what looked like the mamma about 5 yards behind the blind. I ducked down and told Micah to get his gun that there were deer there. I peeked up and out and the bigger of the deer was walking away . Then I heard a snorting to my right. I glanced that way and saw a buck looking and snorting. I knew we wouldn't have much time. I told Micah he would have to take the shot offhand as there was no way we could get the tripod set back up. The doe was about 20 to 25 yards away. He got into position. The only shot he had was standing because he isn't tall enough to see out the blind any other way. We waited what seemed like forever but was probably only a minute or two for her to turn enough to get a good shot. The second she turned I told him to shoot. He took the shot. I saw her jump but couldn't tell if she was hit. When the smoke clearded she was gone. We crawled out and walked over to where she was standing. There was fresh scat, so I told him that he scared the crap out of it. He said said his heart was really thumping. I couldn't find any blood at all. Looked for about 10 yards , no blood. I asked where he aimed and he said right behind the shoulder. I marked where we last saw her standing and decided to travel down the trail and look. I went about 60 yards. No blood anywhere, then I spotted her piled up against a tree. I called Micah and he was one happy boy. He shouted yipee Oh boy.. I got it.. Smiling from ear to ear. His very first deer and with a muzzleloader he got in July for his birthday. I only had a phone so I took 2 pics for him to have as a keepsake but with the temp. I was more interested in getting it field dressed and butchered. The shot turned out to be a good shot. No blood trail but the body was filled with blood . We took it home and I got it skinned and quartered. The kids usually go to bed at 8 but I let them stay up and cut up and put the deer in the freezer. The three of them cut it and ground up everything except the back straps.They went to bed exhausted at 10 oclock.Susanna is next in the hunting rotation. This is also the first deer the kids have processed themselves.
Knight LittleHorn
50 gr Triple 7
250 gr Lehigh
25 yards. standing offhand shot
Attached Thumbnails LittleHorn draws first blood-img_0242.jpg   LittleHorn draws first blood-img_0243.jpg  

Last edited by mountaineer magic; 09-12-2011 at 08:17 AM. Reason: typos

Old 09-12-2011, 07:39 AM
Boone & Crockett

Chet...
The clamour for the story is starting to get near the 'overwhelming' point and because of this I really think you should contact Semi to help you ghost write this article... With his ability to embellish the written word - you might have a best seller... huge!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.