Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Maxiballs

Old 09-09-2011, 12:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Maxiballs

What is everyones experience with these - are you able to shoot consistent groups, how are they for taking down deer
Old 09-09-2011, 01:08 PM
mountaineer magic

Originally Posted by Brknarrow1970
What is everyones experience with these - are you able to shoot consistent groups, how are they for taking down deer
I have shot a lot of them in 54 cal over the years. They shoot good and will drop a deer in their tracks .the maxi ball and maxi hunter shoot the same poi . The hornady great pains bullet is the same and I actually prefer it because of the hollow base.

Old 09-09-2011, 01:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

Chet, depending on the rifle the either shot OK or very well. My 50s shoot them so so but my 45 likes them and shoots them really well. As for how they work on deer, I only ever shot one deer with a .50 cal 370 Maxiball and it left a mark to say the least. Even with the little game experience I have with them, I would not be afraid to use them for anything on this continent. That big chunk of lead is/should be devastating.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I cast and use both the .45 and .50 Maxi and they shoot very well from the guns I use them in. Use a bore button between the powder and the Maxi ball and you'll get better accuracy. I have shot deer with both as well and they definetly put them down quick. I actually preferr the Maxi ball over the Maxi hunter but thats just my opinion. Try them both, your gun may shoot one better than the other....BPS
Old 09-09-2011, 08:33 PM
Dominant Buck

The deer I shot with max ball went down real fast, and those that did run off left a nice blood trail. The Maxi Hunter, I never could get them to shoot well in my traditional rifles.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have shot deer and elk with the maxiball from my renegade and the performance was excellent.for the 1:48 twist there a good choice. for a 1:28 a heavier/longer slip fit is much better IMHO. Ray
Old 09-10-2011, 12:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by cayugad
The Maxi Hunter, I never could get them to shoot well in my traditional rifles.
I'm with you Dave. I've used both but the Maxi-ball definitely groups better for me....BPS
Old 09-19-2011, 06:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

A friend of mine just bought a new T/C firestorm flinter and brought it to my place for a sight in session. After getting a decent group of about 2-1/2" with PRB at 50 yds, I suggested he try a few Maxiballs with the same powder charge (70gr FFg) to see how the gun liked them. Well, he placed three in a lateral line touching one another about 3" lower and about 1" to the right of where his gun was putting the PRB. His gun definitely liked the taste of those Maxi's!!! We did use a bore button between powder and bullet as I'm a firm believer that they help with accuracy....BPS
Old 09-19-2011, 06:49 AM
Banned

They shoot good and accurate in my Optima but TC uses some hard arse lead! I used the 240?gr maxiball in a 45cal muzzle loader my first year of mling and lost 2 deer to them. The 3rd deer i shot was pure hell to get down. I do plan on buying the maxiball mold and cast them myself but with SOFT lead.