Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
cleaning after every shot >

cleaning after every shot

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

cleaning after every shot

Old 09-09-2011, 12:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default cleaning after every shot

Like I have stated in earlier posts, it has been a while since I have shot a BP rifle, but I do remember being at the range in Fla - 20 plus years ago and shooting a renegade and cherokee, we took 3-4 shots and then cleaned and accuracy didn't seem to suffer

The renegade I have now a .50 cal , it seems as though it needs a swabbing after every shot -or accuracy immediately degrades - I tried a 3 shot series with roundballs and didn't think we were going to be able to seat it

Is this a normal experience or could I be doing something wrong - using Goex 3F
Old 09-09-2011, 12:29 PM
mountaineer magic

I always run a spit patch to swab after every shot. With pyrodex i could go 4 or 5 shots but I prefer to swab every shot.

Old 09-09-2011, 12:34 PM
Dominant Buck

I shoot renegades and am more then able to load numerous times and shoot with a degree of accuracy. But I find swabbing makes the rifle even that much more accurate. I also shoot Goex.
Old 09-09-2011, 01:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

arrow - For consistancy, most of us swab between shots. At least those of us that use black powder, Pyrodex or Triple 7. It gives us a better grasp on how a particular load is shooting. Not swabbing causes a fouling buildup which may change your point of impact. Now if hunting, and I mortally hit a deer but can get a second shot, I won't swab but rather load and shoot ASAP. If I need to do some tracking, I may or may not swab the bore with a spit and dry patch.
Old 09-09-2011, 01:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Seen some of the groups you guys are hammering, I just want consistency - so will take the same approach little extra work and time but at least know fully what the guys is cpable of
Old 09-09-2011, 01:45 PM
Spike

I also found that with Goex it really fouled the barrel up after 2 shoots. I switched to triple 7 FFg loose powder and the barrel was far less fouled between shoots. Cleaning was a lot easier. My dad has switched to Jim Shockey Gold and he claims that he has very little to no fouling tells me that he can shoot 10 to 15 shoots and run a patch down the barrel and still comes out white. Last time I went to the range I shoot my pistol with Goex and my rifle with Triple 7. The water was black with the pistol and the rifle water was far cleaner. I plan to stop using Goex as soon as I finish the 1/4 lb I have left. I may just blow something up with it and buy Triple 7 or JS gold.