HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Hornady PA Conical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/349318-hornady-pa-conical.html)

Big Ol Gobbler 09-06-2011 09:48 AM

Hornady PA Conical

Now that I have the Hawken, I'm looking at conical options. 1:48 twist barrel. Going to try prb to see how they shoot but assume conical will be a bit more accurate and I need all the help I can get.
Has anyone shot the PAs? Should I just stick with Maxiballs? I like the fact that the PA are 240 gr vs over 300 for the Maxiballs. I'm not sure I need that much for WI whitetails.
Suggested charge starting point shooting T7? Should I shoot Pyrodex instead?
Thanks for your help.

MountainDevil54 09-06-2011 11:19 AM

i cast the 320gr REALs my self but do sell them from time to time if you are interested. Ive had great success with the 1:48 and the 1:32 twist barrels along with 100gr pyrodex rs.

cayugad 09-06-2011 12:52 PM

The maxiball should shoot good out of the 1-48 twist. And they are a deer stopper. Also they are not too big. I shoot a 460 grain conical at deer. There is no such thing as over kill when you don't want them to run off into the swamp.

WCW 09-06-2011 04:04 PM

I have shot PA conicals in my 1 in 66 and 1 in 48 twist rifles and am happy with their performance in both twists. It in my guns I have found the Pyrodex P gives me the best groups. I use 80 to 95 grains of powder depending on the gun. I haven't hunted with them yet but know a couple of guys that have who both say that they were as good a deer killer as anything else they have used.

Josmund 09-06-2011 04:50 PM

Timely question Gobbler.

I just sighted my TC Hawken 1/48 in Sunday with the PA's. 75 Grains of T7. 2-3" high at 50 put me on at 100.

My Hawken loves them. It also likes the 370 Grain Maxiballs but they just beat the crud out of me when I shoot them.

rafsob 09-06-2011 05:42 PM

I am thinking you are a little bored today. Why would you ask this question? The fun part is to amass a bunch of different conicals and go to the range and shot them to see what your rifle loves. We could tell you what our guns love, but that would do yo no good pal.

Get your but in gear and go and have some fun. Give them all a try. Don't forget the T/C maxi Hunters and maxi Balls. They are impressive in a good many guns. :cool2:

Oh yeah, come back and give a full range report on your session!

Big Ol Gobbler 09-06-2011 06:42 PM

Thanks all for the info. rafsob... not bored... on my lunch break. Unfortunately, my trips to the range are few and far between, so guidance from those that have shot before me helps make the most efficient use of my time. :)
I'll let you know how I do... just don't hold your breath waiting for that report... it might be awhile :)

rafsob 09-06-2011 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by Big Ol Gobbler (Post 3843904)
Thanks all for the info. rafsob... not bored... on my lunch break. Unfortunately, my trips to the range are few and far between, so guidance from those that have shot before me helps make the most efficient use of my time. :)
I'll let you know how I do... just don't hold your breath waiting for that report... it might be awhile :)

Sometimes I forget how fortunate I am to be able to make that run to the range and have myself a ball. Well if'n ya make it to the range get back to us and spread the word brother!!! :happy0001: