Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.
View Poll Results: I prefer to buy american
Yes
75.00%
No
25.00%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Buying American

Old 09-04-2011, 04:07 AM
Boone & Crockett

I once had a lady tell me that since her full size Blazer was made in Canada that as far as she was concerned it was still American made. She said she would never buy a foreign car. But Canada was OK?? Figure that one out. Tom.
For some reason made in Canada vehicles and made in Canada components are classified as "domestic content".

i liked it much better when virtually everything was made in the USA under stringent quality control.

IMO: "Made in America" means nothing when the quality control stinks. As a centerfire rifle my "made in America" TC Encore was a dismal failure. i was finally able to make the gun into a good muzzleloader using aftermarket stuff. For the price; that gun should have been top of the line from the factory.

It does not speak well that the fit and finish of some "made in America" guns is not equal to foreign made guns that cost less than half as much.

Look at then domestic content labels on pickup new trucks some time. The "domestic content" of Toyota Tacoma and Tundra pickups is higher than the Ford F-150.

Last edited by falcon; 09-04-2011 at 04:10 AM.
Old 09-04-2011, 04:22 AM
Fork Horn

I prefer to buy American... except for vehicles. I prefer not to spend lots of money fixing things that shouldn't need to be replaced yet. No more Dodges for me.
Haven't had an issue with Japanese engineering.
Old 09-04-2011, 04:30 AM
WCW
Spike

Originally Posted by Dutch
semisane,

It is a good thing that the two highest quality ML's are American Made.

God bless America.
I have a Belgian made 20 gauge cap-lock s x s that none of the over priced American manufactures come close to its quality and the craftsmanship that went into it. While in Europe I saw muzzle loaders whose quality far exceed anything that is on the market in this country. No synthetic stocks, camouflage or fiber-optic sights on any of them. Those guns are a work of art and I would kill to have a cabinet full of them. The problem is that no one is importing them. The theory that American made guns are the best made is a myth. If that was true the Holland and Holland 12 gauge s x s I inherited from my uncle would just be another old imported gun and not worth much.
Old 09-05-2011, 06:47 AM
Fork Horn

There was a time that I worked in manufacturing, and I will use Zenitel as an example. We built intercom systems, for hospital use, for them and placed Made in USA stickers on them. They were assembled in america with chinese parts. It aggervated me because I would spend a couple of days with sandpaper and scotchbright removing scratches from a stainless steel panel. So the company spent $160 bucks plus whatever they paid the person helping me. So I guess thats $300 waisted fixing cheaper parts.

I have also seen American workers intentionally mess up products, simply because they didn't want to be working on a certain project. I would buy American from a reputable company if I can afford it or justify the value of the higher price. I love my Ruger revolver and easily acept the price/value over foriegn products compition
Old 09-05-2011, 07:37 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by freebirdfb
There was a time that I worked in manufacturing, and I will use Zenitel as an example. We built intercom systems, for hospital use, for them and placed Made in USA stickers on them. They were assembled in america with chinese parts. It aggervated me because I would spend a couple of days with sandpaper and scotchbright removing scratches from a stainless steel panel. So the company spent $160 bucks plus whatever they paid the person helping me. So I guess thats $300 waisted fixing cheaper parts.

See stuff like that is not made in the USA and they should be shot for being allowed to place made in the USA stickers on chinese made products......

I don't know but that is what i wandered about everybody pushing Knight being made in the USA..... Is it???? Where does green moutain buy there steel from to make the barrels???? and so on, to me if all products are not made in the USA then the end product is not made here!!! as in, if they buy their steel from Japan and make the barrels in the USA... to me that is not american made....
Old 09-05-2011, 09:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by grouse45
the only muzzleloader that i know of that is 100% made and assembled in the usa is the current knight rifles. The savage might be as well??? Not sure about that one.
thompson center!!!!!!!!!