Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Found One!

Old 09-03-2011, 02:20 PM
Fork Horn

Default Found One!

First all, thank you to all of you that provided recommendations, advise, and links to options. I really appreciate it.
InRecordBookBuck provided some links to local sellers, so I sent a few e-mails, made a phone call and went to check out a listing.
The gun was in great shape. Clean barrel, good rifling, good coloration on the furniture, great stock. The only non-issue was slight lightening of the bluing in a few spots.... from handling I suppose.
So I ended up buying a "like new" TC Hawken and some powder, round balls, etc for $150.00. I think it was a good buy and fit within my price range.
The only downside is my wife told me I need find a home for two other firearms... bummer. Maybe the Thunderbolt and Genesis need to live with another family.
Anyway, thanks again to all.
Old 09-03-2011, 03:07 PM
Banned

Excellent deal!

I don't agree with your wife. I think you should counter offer with a " how about i find a new place for YOU?"
Old 09-03-2011, 03:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
Excellent deal!

I don't agree with your wife. I think you should counter offer with a " how about i find a new place for YOU?"
Trouble maker.
Just agree with her and forget about it. She probably will forget about it too, sooner or later.
Old 09-03-2011, 03:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

Way to go Gobbler. Happy for you. Sorry you didn't come to me sooner though..Oh well.
Old 09-03-2011, 03:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

By the way, That's a great rifle at a terrific price. I have one I built from a kit over 20 years ago. I shoot 370 grain Maxi Balls with 83 grains fffg Goex. It drops about 4 inches or so at 75 yards. I've taken a number of deer at that range. I never tried to take a shot at a deer any farther away than that. That's the only problem I have with the rifle, the range. Beside the heavy lead projectile, the effective range also has a lot to do with the fact that it only has open sights on it. I was so amazed at how well my 1:48 inch twist .54 caliber barrel shot sabots that I need to take the rest of my rifles with a 1:48 inch twist barrel, including my Hawkins, and try sabots in them.
Old 09-03-2011, 03:58 PM
Fork Horn

Let me know if your selling the thunderbolt
Old 09-03-2011, 04:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

I don't see how you could have done any better than a clean TC Hawken for that price. It was a real bargain.
Old 09-03-2011, 04:39 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
Excellent deal!

Wouldn't trade her for the world. I think the better tactic is to tell her that I pledged to love, honor and protect you.... an arsenal helps with the protect part

sbuff... I will keep that in mind. Thanks for your interest.
Old 09-03-2011, 04:48 PM
Typical Buck

gobbler, glad it worked out for you..... i almost bought pretty much the same rifle last weekend but, the guy was a little too far... but, i could have got it for 125 and about 80 in gas for the round trip.... if he had been closer, i would have bought it...... he just would have nothing to do with shipping it to me.
Old 09-03-2011, 04:56 PM
Typical Buck

wow thats a super deal, you'll love that gun

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.