Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
My girlfriend laid down the law >

My girlfriend laid down the law

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

My girlfriend laid down the law

Old 08-21-2011, 07:19 PM
Fork Horn

Default My girlfriend laid down the law

Since last hunting season I have sold all of my muzzledloaders except for my TC Hawken. Honestly, I just wasn't completely happy with any of them. With early season coming up around the bend, I made a comment to my GF tonight (she makes the rules it turns out...) that I need to find one that I am happy with and that I will keep for a long time. I have narrowed it down to a few choices and I would love your guy's input!

#1= .50 TC Omega with laminate stock.

Pros = Real stainless steel; a solid stock that is easy to bed; reportedly a reliable BH209 shooter; seems like it would be very easy to clean.

Cons = I would be ordering from a place that I am unsure whether I could return it or not, so I am concerned about the fit of the stock; I have heard that Omegas can sometimes have blow back into the trigger assembly.

#2 = A New Knight Disc Extreme

Pros = I had one that I loved, but the bluing started coming off around the breech after a few months even with regular cleaning so I got rid of it, if it was stainless, I would probably still have it; very accurate; supposedly clean/BH209 capable with the new NPJ breech plug

Cons = Honestly, I am bit worried about this incarnation of knight, they don't seem to be pushing their product very well (i.e. no major retailers are carrying any of them yet), if this is going to be my only muzzy for a long time I want to be sure that I can still get service/parts for years to come; they are a bit hard to clean, I always hated cleaning the BP threads on mine; a bit expensive compared to other options

#3 = A Plastic Stocked .45 Omega and a LRH Barrel for my Hawken

Pros = I can get away with this one (a barrel isn't another gun right?); I can get both for the price of either option 1 or 2; I have always wanted a .45 muzzy as them seem to have awesome long range ability which would make for a great late season gun for reaching across bean fields; the LRH barrel would make for a great early season brush gun for shooting my favorite .50 sabot loads and big lead.

Cons = I have heard that the plastic stock Omegas are terrible; I cant find any info (reviews or loads) for a .45 Omega; .50 Omegas can be fussy about loads, if the .45 is the same, there are less options to try; The Hawken hurts to shoot

#4 = A Knight Vision

Pros = very, very cheap; supposedly clean and able to shoot BH209 well; a knight, so it should be built well and shoot great

Cons = I can't find much info about them; I can't handle one before I buy it and I have heard that the LOP is a little long for most; a little ugly; I have heard that they sometimes have problems getting primers to fire.

Thanks for you input!
Old 08-21-2011, 07:29 PM
Fork Horn

weres #5 new girlfriend no I would say the knight good all round gun and well made
Old 08-21-2011, 07:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

If your after a rifle to shoot nothing but "saboted" bullets, then IMHO you can't go wrong with the Triumph.easy to clean,speed breach, light weight and as accurate out of the box as they get.if you want to shoot all types of conicals and saboted bullets both with great accuracy, a knight is what you want.. Ray
Old 08-21-2011, 07:57 PM
Fork Horn

I cant get around the weathersheild on the triumph..if only they made it in SS. Also, don't you have problems with the long BP and BH209?
Old 08-21-2011, 08:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by josh...just josh
I cant get around the weathersheild on the triumph..if only they made it in SS. Also, don't you have problems with the long BP and BH209?
None at all, just keep it cleaned up with a drill bit and then soak it in widex & vinegar to finish cleaning it.SS isn't even necessary these days with products like dyna coat for the bores and outer barrel.i have never been a fan of SS for field use..Ray
Old 08-21-2011, 08:37 PM
Banned

exactly! The ones to keep will be all the guns and get rid of her! LMAO. Thats what i did at least. Im happier so it all worked out. Still have my fat dog to cuddle with and he doesn't whine unless hes hungry.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

2, 3 and 4 would be a tough call since i know where to get 45cal SS Omegas for $300. Yep they have the Tupperware stocks but you can buy a laminate stock IIRC later or bed the Tupperware. They shoot fine from the few people i know that have them in the laminates.

The Knight Visions can still be found for under $200 but not in SS. They do have the newer NFPJ Vision plug which is much cleaner. Not perfect but not bad at all. If it is, Knight will likely take care of it. Keep an eye out for the NEW Vision.

The new Extreme with a carbon black stock or non TH laminates is very reasonably priced even with the additional cost of the NFPJ. When Knight was no longer selling guns i got great service and still bought parts including a barrel/action and trigger. SportmanGuide just picked up the new BigHorns. I imagine other models will follow soon. They are still catching up with their own online sales.

BTW not supposedly clean, i have several and they are all nearly spotless with a NFPJ plug and a Win209 primer. 100% BH209 reliability too with the Lehigh NFPJ version even with the mildest primer you can get. I would not recommend ML primers for BH209 but i did test them during very long range sessions.

Number 1 doesn't thrill me but im kinda anti 50cal. I do like the feel of the Dream Season version though. There have been some reports of issues with the ramrods slipping under recoil. Using Bh209 i wouldn't be too concerned if it doesn't shoot as clean as some guns. I haven't heard any bad reviews in terms of heavy blowby. It is very reliable with BH209 out of the box. Just keep the flash channel cleaned out.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 08-21-2011 at 09:03 PM.
Old 08-21-2011, 10:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

the LRH barrel would make for a great early season brush gun for shooting my favorite .50 sabot loads and big lead.
The 28" LRH barrel is no lightweitht and would not pop into my mind when thinking of a light easy swinging brush gun. Get rid of the GF and find yourself an Omega X7 (stainless/laminate stock).
Old 08-21-2011, 10:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Girlfriend schmierlfriend. Get the one or ones you want. If she's a keeper she'll get over it
Old 08-22-2011, 03:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have been married 32 years, have raised 3 daughters...I have two that I put through college (one with a Masters) and have married and one that's a sophomore at NC State...

I love my wife and children and I buy what I want...They don't ask me what to buy when they go shopping...

It's your decision, not her's...

Grow a set and enjoy what you buy...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.