Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
My girlfriend laid down the law >

My girlfriend laid down the law

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

My girlfriend laid down the law

Old 08-22-2011, 06:16 AM
mountaineer magic

I would choose the Triimph over an Omega. I have yet to find anything that will outshoot it except for the knight elite and possibly the mountaineer.I haven't shot the mountaineer enough to know yet. The weathershield has been sufficient protection for me.I personally like the knights but t/C or knight ,you can't go wrong either way.

Old 08-22-2011, 06:29 AM
Dominant Buck

You need to get the rifle your most comfortable with. Handle the different rifles, shoulder them, and see what one of them appeals to you. All of them will get the job done. But if you pick one on our say so and are not happy with it, then its more trouble for you because for the next 50 years your going to hear.." I told you so!"
Old 08-22-2011, 06:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

He'll never make it 50 with that woman...
Old 08-22-2011, 07:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Of the three you listed, the Omega without question. The laminate stock and stainless steel barrel equals a lifetime gun (with TC's warranty to back that up). A proven, if somewhat dated, design that will be around for a long time.

I suspect you are looking at third generation guns online as they have the best price around. Don't know much about their reliability.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:09 AM
Fork Horn

Since last hunting season I have sold all of my muzzledloaders except for my TC Hawken. Honestly, I just wasn't completely happy with any of them.
I am all for being the 'man with one gun' but it seems to me you have to get a handle on what suits you.

What did you like/dislike about what you had before? Make sure you capture the likes in the new one and lose the dislikes.

If you buy a discontinued model (the Vision) check with Knight (Athens, TN, and CS) to make sure you're not left with another disappointment if you need parts or labor.

In the short term, hunt with the Hawken for now, while your young and your eyes (if you are using iron sights) are up to it. I was pushing 40 before I gave up and got a scoped inline. And I still go primitive when I feel up to it.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:30 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by nchawkeye
I have been married 32 years, have raised 3 daughters...I have two that I put through college (one with a Masters) and have married and one that's a sophomore at NC State...

I love my wife and children and I buy what I want...They don't ask me what to buy when they go shopping...

It's your decision, not her's...

Grow a set and enjoy what you buy...
The most popular answer in my opinion.Not necessarilly the safest,but,a great answer.
It is always easier to ask forgiveness than permission.

Last edited by WOODTICK49; 08-22-2011 at 12:33 PM.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:29 PM
Typical Buck

The Knight Vision that I checked out and shouldered at a Cabela's wasn't very ergonomic. Maybe it fits other folks better. But like most guns it's not for everybody including me.

Last edited by arcticap; 08-22-2011 at 07:33 PM.
Old 08-23-2011, 03:01 PM
Nim
Spike

Default muzzle loader

Ha get the TC Encore, Pro Hunter in 50 cal. then if you want a center fire just change barrels that is what I did.

Nim