Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
might be some hope yet >

might be some hope yet

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

might be some hope yet

Old 08-10-2011, 12:10 PM
Dominant Buck

Default might be some hope yet

As I had mentioned in earlier posts, I had purchased a damaged .50 caliber Lyman Trade Rifle barrel. I knew it was damaged, but for what I paid, it was worth it I guess.

Inside the barrel was a nasty gouge about four inches down. When I first inspected it I really had my doubts whether it would shoot or not. And I still do, to be totally honest.

But after working so hard this morning I deserved to shoot today. And I saw that damaged barrel sitting there and figured.. what the heck. So I loaded that on a Lyman Trade Rifle, grabbed some powder, and then figured.. shoot some conicals and maybe it will knock ruff spots out before I have to lapp it. So I grabbed twenty of the 385 grain Hornady conicals I have around here.

I figured I don't know where it hits, or how bad that damage will effect it. So I set the target at 25 yards. And again guessed at the powder charge.. 60 grain of Goex 3f powder.

This is the first five shots

while I would have liked to see a little tighter group I really was not all that unhappy with that group. So I moved the target back to 50 yards.

At 50 yards I could hardly judge the bulls square and circle so I threw a dot up on it to give me an aiming point.

I fired two rounds and know where one of them hit, but am not too sure about the second one. I wanted to say it was that nice round hole next to the one outside the group, but if you look at the first picture, that could be camera angle making that difference.

So before I have a friend chop that barrel off past the gouge, I have not written the barrel off. We will keep trying it and see what happens next time out, with some roundball.
Old 08-10-2011, 12:21 PM
Typical Buck

Still looks like a dead deer to me at 50yds. it shows potential.
Old 08-10-2011, 12:36 PM
mountaineer magic

sure looks good to me. I've seen new guns that didn't shoot that good. I dont think I would cut the barrel.

Old 08-10-2011, 01:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

The devil's gonna get you if you chop off that barrel Cayugad. I sure can't see anything wrong with that.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:40 PM
Dominant Buck

Well I have a lot more testing to do. And that main group was only 25 yards..
Old 08-10-2011, 01:58 PM
Fork Horn

Untill further shooting/testing, I would believe that the missing round went through the first grouping. But as you said there is more testing to be done.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by cayugad
Well I have a lot more testing to do. And that main group was only 25 yards..
Dave, trade rifles are tough...
Old 08-10-2011, 03:16 PM
Dominant Buck

I had a devil of a time getting it clean today for some reason. I'd hate to think how many patches of Windex I put through that. I finally broke out the Butch's Bore Shine. Yet on the range there was basically no fouling. I swabbed when I moved back to 50 yards and other then a filthy patch, there was no crud ring of any kind.
Old 08-10-2011, 03:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

Dave. IMO it shoots. and not too awful bad. And you were only shooting 60 gr. Boost it up to 80 and see what happens. I would hang on to it and if you don't want it, you might just befriend a kid some day and you can give it to him to start. And it will make his day.
Old 08-10-2011, 03:46 PM
Typical Buck

It's refreshing to see that you chose to fire a modest target load to test it out rather than automatically loading the larger powder charges. That's a shining of example of target load development by a seasoned shooter. I'm sure that you'll be increasing the powder charges but it's nice to see that you started out on the low side to see how it would do.

Last edited by arcticap; 08-10-2011 at 03:55 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.