HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Got up too early (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/347972-got-up-too-early.html)

cayugad 08-10-2011 08:25 AM

Got up too early

Today was one of them days I could not sleep. So I got up and began looking for something to do. I went to the gun room and decided I needed to dust and clean, as well as wipe off all the rifles.

Well for three years now I have collected every jug/container of powder, whether it was Goex, Kik, Grafs, Pyrodex RS & P, Black Mag, Swiss, Triple Seven, APP, JSG, you name it, I saved it. Why I have no idea. Probably a stupid thought in my head at one time in my life. I have a lot of them. But today that all changed.

Instead of my usual taking the large stack of jugs apart and dust them, then stack them again, I decided to throw them in the recycle bin which happened to be a 55 gallon empty garbage can.

It amazed me how many empties I had accumulated. But that will all go away when our recycle center is open.

To make sure there was nothing in them, I really shook the snot out of them into an ice cream bucket. I was kind of surprised what I got out of all them empties..

I am going to see how that stuff burns, but I doubt I would want to shoot it. Now I got the weapons all cleaned and oiled, the wall all wiped down, and the other stuff in the office all clean. So we can start a new collection. I also threw out over 60 #11 tins. I told you, I do crazy things sometimes.. like collecting muzzleloaders. Think of what that powder probably cost me, not to mention those tins of caps.

So if you're as big a pack rat as I am.. take the plunge. Clean them guns and anything else in the way... :barmy:

freebirdfb 08-10-2011 08:35 AM

You got up too early and I got up too late. I missed a midterm this morning. But you are right about us pack rats. I'm not as bad as I use to be, I now have most of my stuff relocated to a single corner, which means the closet looks a little bare.

Semisane 08-10-2011 09:01 AM

I have the "I might need this one day" syndrome. One of those guys who can't pass up someone else's trash pile. What I really need to do is have a dumpster dropped off at my house so I can clean out my garage and have all of that stuff hauled away. Then I can start collecting more useless junk.

cayugad 08-10-2011 09:57 AM

The only reason I don't move to the other place I have is.. I can't bare the thought of packing all my junk back up and moving it. That dumpster sounds like a good idea.

builder459 08-10-2011 10:09 AM

There is a reality show dedicated to helping people with this problem.:eek2:Ray

EndeavorShooter 08-10-2011 10:57 AM

WOW!!!! I thought i was bad.....thats alot of empty cans..... I keep saying i am going to clean out my garage, it is packed. but i am afraid, the minute i throw it away. I will need it......at least i keep it contained to the garage. my wife would not allow it in her house... It's funny how WE bought the house. but all I get is the garage.

zakjak711 08-10-2011 11:00 AM

Wow, thats impressive!
How many years did it take to shoot all that powder?
I am a pack rat also---If I had a pole barn, it would be worse than it is now.

Mark

50calty 08-10-2011 05:13 PM

I"m too OCD. Everything has to be nice and neaty. Don't hang on too any junk. Sometimes I throw away stuff that I needed. It drives my wife nuts

cayugad 08-10-2011 05:18 PM

zakjak... that was three years worth of shooting.

50calty.. my brother in law is like you. Anything out of place, he throws away. I swear you could eat off the table in his wood shop. In mine you'd play you know what to find it.

bronko22000 08-10-2011 05:19 PM

Dave, I thought for sure you would not have thrown away those #11 cap tins. They are great for puttting your homemade bullet lube in. I guess you're going to have to get in that barrel and get them out now.
And.. 3 years worth? You sure you don't mean 3 months? :)