Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
New to muzzleloading >

New to muzzleloading

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New to muzzleloading

Old 08-08-2011, 07:42 AM
Fork Horn

Default New to muzzleloading

Finally got myself a muzzleloader after looking at them for the past couple of years. Cabelas had a good deal on the loaders so I got a CVA Optima. Now I need to get all the accessories ( bullets,powder/pellets,cleaning kits,primers, and whatever else I need) wondering what you all recommend?
Old 08-08-2011, 08:05 AM
Banned

Great gun! I have 2 of them.

250gr Thor/250gr Powerbelt Aerolite/260gr harvester scorpion pt gold with mmp-24 sabot/300gr Traditions Fullbore all shoot great in my Optimas.

Powder: Blackhorn209 without a doubt.

Primers: CCI 209 Magnum

Accessories:
Range Rod
Cleaning rod
Short Starter
Powder Flask
Powder measure
Speed Loaders or powder tubes
Nylon bore brush
breech brush
Birchwood Casey Bore Scrubber
Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber " for cleaning out the new gun"

It add's up pretty quickly but those items are important in order to shoot and maintain your muzzle loader.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:06 AM
Boone & Crockett

OK let's see. Where do we start. First off you are going to need a range rod and cleaning jag (.50 cal I presume). Give your bore a good cleaning with a degreaser and/or alcohol followed by a gun cleaner and light coat of gun oil. (Be sure to swab the oil out before you shoot.)
Patch worm: Sooner or later you are going to get a patch in your bore and you may as well have this little rod accessory available.
Next you will need 209 primers. You can get the muzzleloader primers or regular shotgun primers.
Powder measurer: Try to find one that adjust in 5 grain increments.
Powder: (depending on you budget, from what I am hearing Blackhorn 209 is the cleanest burning but the most expensive.) Or you can get some Pyrodex RS.
Bullets: I would select a saboted bullet in the 250 AND 300 grain range. You want to see which shoot best as all MLs are different.
Suggested loads: I would start at 80 gr and work up in 10 gr increments to no more than 120 gr and see where you better grouping is. (Note this is by volume not weight)
This should get you started. Welcome to the club.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

You better take a credit card. Congratulations on your new ML. Read your manual and read it again. See if you have a friend or neighbor that has one to help you out as well.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:14 AM
Fork Horn

I see you guys suggest powder over the pellet form is there a reason for that?
Old 08-08-2011, 11:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

Besides being ridiculously expensive, pellets are not really any easier to use than loose powder and greatly limit your load development ability.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:03 PM
Banned

cuz pellets suck
Old 08-08-2011, 12:25 PM
Dominant Buck

I do like loose powder. And for the reasons mentioned.. cheaper and load development. But I have a rifle that really likes just two pyrodex pellets and a Barnes bullet. I tried the same bullet with loose powder and did not get as good of results. Not really sure why, either.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good advice here. I'd also recommend loose powder- Pyrodex, Triple Seven or Blackhorn 209 are all good powders, Blackhorn is less dirty and less corrosive than the others, though I've never had any problems with Triple Seven.

As far as bullets go, if you are allowed to used sabots, I would suggest trying out several- there are a lot of good bullets out there, including, but not limited to, 250 grain Gold Dot, 250 or 300 Grain XTP, 250 Barnes expander, and many others.

It will take some experimenting to find out what works best for you. Good luck!
Old 08-08-2011, 05:35 PM
Fork Horn

Using loose powder do you have to clean in between shots though? Or does it burn just as clean as pellets?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.