Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
speaking of powders >

speaking of powders

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

speaking of powders

Old 08-05-2011, 11:02 AM
mountaineer magic

Default speaking of powders

I ordered this today just to try. the advertising hype is below, I guess I will find out for myself whether its hype or not

Alliant Powder has introduced a new Black Powder substitute, Black MZ™. This product is designed to work with all types of black powder firearms. We’re told this stuff is “on the trucks” — supplies are being shipped to vendors nationwide this month.
Why do we need another Black Powder substitute? Alliant claims this new propellant withstands moisture and significantly reduces the frequency (and difficulty) of bore cleaning: “Black MZ helps maximize shooting performance by resisting moisture and adverse weather conditions. Hunters can stay loaded in the field for days, only needing to insert a primer to get into the action. Black MZ won’t clump or corrode the barrel”.
Alliant designed Black MZ to deliver dependable ignition, lower barrel pressure and higher velocities. Alliant claims that “The clean-burning ignition of Black MZ is virtually non-corrosive, [and] greatly diminishes fouling”. Alliant adds that “wedged slugs, grimy barrels, stuck seater dies, and dwindling accuracy are greatly reduced by Black MZ.” Hopefully that’s not marketing hype. If, as claimed, Black MZ really does foul less than other BP substitutes, it should allow more shots between cleaning sessions. That would be a boon for BP shooters.
Black MZ’s enhanced performance derives from its high moisture tolerance and non-corrosive ignition. “We’re excited about what Black MZ can do for muzzleloader hunters and black powder cartridges. It helps take the hassle out of muzzleloading”, said Alliant’s Brand Director Rick Stoeckel. To learn more about Black MZ, or view load data, please visit www.AlliantPowder.com. Product designation: BLACKmz, 1 lb. bottle, Alliant Part No. 150524.

Old 08-05-2011, 11:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Chet,
I am very interested in learning more about that powder. Did the place you ordered it from have it on hand? Keep us informed about it and if you get it how it shoots.
Art
Old 08-05-2011, 11:21 AM
Boone & Crockett

Every group needs a point man Chet, and volunteers are the best.

Looking forward to the first range report.

I plan to pick up the first canister I see too, and shoot it over the chronograph along side of Pyrodex RS and T7.
Old 08-05-2011, 11:43 AM
Fork Horn

What do you think the average cost will be?

D
Old 08-05-2011, 11:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, where did you order it from and do they currently have it in stock for shipment?

I know Grafs will be carrying it at $22/lb, but they don't have stock yet.
Old 08-05-2011, 11:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Chet , you must of missed it lol. there was a long thread about this powder several days ago. Graf's does have it listed for $22.00 lb. did you buy it direct from Alliant. Ray
Old 08-05-2011, 12:07 PM
Typical Buck

Grafs sold out already!
http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/...roductId/23435
Old 08-05-2011, 12:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Omega45
I called them today and the shipment should be in around the 19 th of this month.Ray
Old 08-05-2011, 01:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Didn't you guys get all excited about some Super Powder awhile back?

When someone says it's better in every way to BH 209 except price. I'll show some interest.

It won't beat Swiss in sidelocks.

I doubt it can match BH in inlines.

Isn't it sugar based? Sounds like a crud ring.
Old 08-05-2011, 01:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

There's always a pessimist in the group! Let's keep an open mind and see how it performs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.