Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
speaking of powders >

speaking of powders

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

speaking of powders

Old 08-05-2011, 07:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by builder459
Wasn't mike the last point man with the shockey's super duper powder SEMI? he hasn't said much about this new black MZ.. Ray
I have 2 bottles coming - but doesn't do much good to talk about it until i get it and I am not sure when that will be. My dealer is ordering directly from Alliant Powders as part of an additional order...

Someone go to Allinat Powder and look at the MSDS for the powder.. What do you think???

Last edited by sabotloader; 08-05-2011 at 08:04 PM.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

Been there/done that. Ignition temperature is pretty low. Should work well in any caplock and maybe even flinters.

All of those nasty precautionary words about handling seem a little extreme, but are probably necessary to satisfy Uncle Sam. Lots of standard smokeless powders have the same kind of stuff on their MSDS.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have shot a lot of it already. It does not replace BH209 in my inlines. Flintlock or #11 it might be great for???? I have no interest in trying it in those.

My local sporting goods store is getting alot of gear to test and it's free. I shot the powder in there Endeavor two different times at the range. The chrono readings they got are not with Bh209 and 250grn bullets.

I will say, i did not witness those test's but they have been pretty accurate so far. The powder is pretty cheap and some might like it. I did not buy any. Actually i ordered more Bh209.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by txhunter58
Not sure what you mean "except price" Sounds like they are pricing it to sell at $22 per POUND, not 10 oz. Although due to weight differences, there may be roughly the same number of shoots per bottle.

I am not sure anyone will be saying it is better than BH 209 in every way, but if you can get 10 shots off without swabbing in a sidelock, wouldn't that be better than even swiss?

And many inlines will not shoot BH without modifications.

Sounds to me like there might be a nitch, if it lives up to presale hype.
That's why I said except price. I know it will be cheaper than BH. Hell..what isn't?

As for using in sidelocks? I'm sure it will work fine. The old Black Mag3 did. For me though. Real BP belongs in a sidelock, and I need to smell sulfur.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not sure what you mean "except price" Sounds like they are pricing it to sell at $22 per POUND, not 10 oz. Although due to weight differences, there may be roughly the same number of shoots per bottle.

Sabotloader said:

Probably not... no more than BH is that much more inergetic than T7.

I was thinking BH 209 is around 68 gr (weight) for 100 gr volume. And I thought I read that Black MZ was going to be fairly close to 100 gr (weight) for 100 gr volume.

So I deduced that even though Black MZ comes in a pound, there might be about the same shots per bottle. Are my figures or logic flawed? Can't find the actual data, so I might me mistaken?
Old 08-06-2011, 08:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm not too concerned with it being cheaper. (to a point) I just want it to shoot in all my guns, and clean up with water.

Plus, it has to be available at my local gun shop. He hates stocking BH 209. I'm the only one who buys it.

I live in a funny area. All the ML hunters use either Pyrodex/T7 and Powerbelts. So, guess what the gun shop has lots of?
Old 08-06-2011, 11:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

Sabotloader said:

Probably not... no more than BH is that much more inergetic than T7.

I was thinking BH 209 is around 68 gr (weight) for 100 gr volume. And I thought I read that Black MZ was going to be fairly close to 100 gr (weight) for 100 gr volume.

So I deduced that even though Black MZ comes in a pound, there might be about the same shots per bottle. Are my figures or logic flawed? Can't find the actual data, so I might me mistaken?
Not sure you are mistaken when considering weight... I do not use weight I am all volume.

It would seem odd that Black MZ would weigh and measure both at a 100 - but I really do not know.

I have always gone by the volume numbers I know i have to match volume for volume between T7 and BH to get simular numbers. And I know when I am using BH for testing - it goes one heck of a lot faster than does T7.

So I think this is correct...

All by weight

1 lb ='s 7000 grains --> 77 grains T7 per shot equals 90 shots
10 oz's ='s 4375 grains --> 68 grains BH /shot ="s 64 shots

1 lb of BH (if you could get it that way) would equal 102 shots

When we get a weight measurement for Black MZ, we can do the same math and calculate that one also.
Old 08-06-2011, 12:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

The last weight i saw on the last version was 102grW=100grV for BlackMag. We don't know if Alliant used the same formula. They might have even used a coating to make it less hygroscopic.

I should know within a few weeks. Grafs will have it by the 19th and mine should arrive close to that date also. Even if the weight is the same, $23lb is still cheaper than i pay for T7 or Swiss.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 08-06-2011 at 01:03 PM.
Old 08-07-2011, 05:39 AM
Fork Horn

My big question is will this be OK out of my Black Diamond with an open breach or is it a problem like BH?

I would love to try something a little cleaner than T7.

Mitch
Old 08-07-2011, 05:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by mitchmtm1
My big question is will this be OK out of my Black Diamond with an open breach or is it a problem like BH?

I would love to try something a little cleaner than T7.

Mitch
It should work fine if you're using T7 now.

I doubt it will be much cheaper or cleaner than T7. You think T7 is dirty? Ever try black powder, or even Pyrodex?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.