Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Which Gun Coating? >

Which Gun Coating?

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Which Gun Coating?

Old 07-30-2011, 05:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Which Gun Coating?

I don't know if it's just the humidity this year or what, but it seems like I can't keep up with keeping the rust off my Pro Hunter. Not bad pitting or anything, just some orange dots here and there. But I feel like I can't go a day without checking it.
I was thinking either Dyna-Tek's bore coat and gun shield or else DuraCoat. The Dyna Tek is a lot cheaper and I hate to cover stainless with DuraCoat, but if it's that much better I may try that.
So far I've tried regular gun oil and BC Barricade. The Barricade worked better but I still keep finding little orange specs here and there.
Old 07-30-2011, 05:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

Kirby - where do you store your rifle? If it's that humid you may want to buy a dehumidifier. If you keep your rifle in a gun safe you may want to do what I did. I ran an elec. cord into the safe and installed a porceline light base. I keep a 40 watt bulb burning in the safe and it keeps the temp in the safe above the room temp which forces the moisture out of the safe.
Do not store your rifle in a zippered gun case (soft case). These things draw moisture like a sponge.
I've never had any trouble with guns rusting. I treat my bores with Montana Xtreme Bore Conditioner and wipe the outsides down with regular 3in1 oil. (I also use 3in1 to lightly lubricate the locks on my sidelocks.)
Old 07-30-2011, 06:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Quite possibly some thing you are putting on the gun is causing flash rust. It may even be you some people have a high acid content and the oil and sweat from their skin causes flash rust.
Old 07-30-2011, 06:45 AM
Dominant Buck

It is humid where I live but so far I have been clean. I do not store in a case or anything. But I do make sure I apply a good coat of gun oil in the bore.
Old 07-30-2011, 01:03 PM
Typical Buck

I just wipe my Pro Hunters down with a light coat of oil and they go in the safe. No signs of rust. I did see the orange rust you are talking about after I hunted in the rain with my blued Pro Hunter. The inside of the frame was filthy from shooting Pyrodex and Triple 7. I tore it apart and cleaned it up and no orange spots anymore, but I shoot BH209 pretty much exclusively out of it and my SS Pro Hunter now.
Old 07-30-2011, 11:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

well worth it! http://www.black-t.com/applications.htm
Old 07-31-2011, 08:46 PM
Banned

the gun shield IMO is excellent stuff that seals and protects. I recently order a little tube of RIG + P stainless steel lube off the birchwood casey website, coated my SS Optima and just have to wait for hunting season to see how it works out.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:15 PM
Spike

Eezox wins all the side by side comparisons for rust protection. It's what I use, and I haven't had any rust issues with it. It goes on wet and dries to leave a dry film protection that isn't displaced by water as normal oils that will float. For regular oiling of actions and rust protection, it can't be beat.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:28 PM
Banned

ceramic coating in the dynatek beats it LOL. No film, nothing that wipes off. Goes on wet, penetrates and stays on.
Old 08-01-2011, 04:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Been using rig on the outsides of my guns for years even SS ones. A coating of Rig is as good as it gets for outside protection from rust.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.