Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
How thoroughly do you clean muzzy? >

How thoroughly do you clean muzzy?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

How thoroughly do you clean muzzy?

Old 07-17-2011, 08:13 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Doug100g
@ 50calty

@ mountaindevil54.

How do you let your solvent soak? Could you tell me how you clean? I know you use BH 209 to.

D
When i go to clean BH209 fouling from my bore i run normally 3 DRY and tight fitting patches. I push them down the bore and the dry patch grabs all the loose fouling and pushes it out of the way.

After thats been done i take a patch, spray it down with birchwood casey bore scrubber and swab the bore with that, paying attention a great deal to the breech area as well as the muzzle. Let it sit for 10 minutes to loosen up carbon/copper/fouling and then hit the bore with about a dozen strokes with my nylon bore brush. Wet another patch and push that down the bore, flip it over and push it down the bore again, making sure i clean out the QLA area.

After that i basically just run a few dry patches and i am finished.

No oiling afterward as bore scrubber has an anti rust additive in it.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

Two things. 1, It takes me about 20-30 mins to clean my sidelocks and that is with letting the bp solution set in the bore for 10 mins. My Knight inline takes a bit longer due to the longer disassembly time.
2. Why not use a 3/32" drill bit to clean out your falsh hole? It is slightly smaller and you can wiggle it a bit to scrape the sides.
Old 07-17-2011, 02:46 PM
Fork Horn

Some very good advice. I love this site.

I have been using Hopps 9 solvent. I will look into Montana's xtreme and some of the other products suggested.

The drill bit ideas are great to.

Thanks again for the suggestions and your experience.

D
Old 07-22-2011, 07:57 PM
Spike

Blackhorn 209 seems to leave a lot of loose soot in the barrel. In the past I've use a Hoppes solvent patch as the first patch to clean the barrel and this seems to spread the soot out all over the barrel and rifling. Then is takes a lot of patches to remove all of it. I now use a dry patch first to remove the majority of the soot and then use the Hoppes solvent patches until clean, then dry patch, and then an oil patch.
Old 07-30-2011, 09:40 PM
Spike

Met me just say, it can never be too clean. The Bp pellets and gunk in the barrel and all over the gun really take a toll on the gun if not removed. The more the better. Shot mine only once today, cleaned for like 45-50 minutes getting some junk out.
Old 07-30-2011, 09:42 PM
Spike

The more the better. Whatever is not cleaned out will really magnify in a while. Shot mine once today and cleaned little stuff for like an hour.
Old 07-30-2011, 09:44 PM
Spike

Sorry for the double(now triple) response, didn't think the first went through