Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Hunter Safety

Old 07-11-2011, 07:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

Can't agree with that Builder. It just too easy to know exactly what you're aiming at (an your attention will certainly be focused on that deer) without realizing there's someone out there in the background. If everyone hunted from an elevated platform and all shots were down at 50 yards it probably wouldn't matter. But get on the ground in open country and fields and it's real easy for someone to be out behind your target that you would never notice without orange.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:09 PM
Banned

Im so safe that i even wear camo orange boxers into the woods. Never know when some californian or texan may mistake my hairy rear end for a 'bar!
Old 07-11-2011, 09:15 PM
Spike

Blaze orange is a tool used to keep you safe from hunters that are capable of seeing it. Deer have picked out my blaze orange many times, whether it is because the deer has escaped other orange clad hunters, or because to the deer the orange is perceived as a solid bright patch of white or gray. The deer that pay no attention to orange have not been conditioned to do so. It only takes 1 or 2 run-ins with hunters for deer to avoid it.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:08 AM
Typical Buck

Seeing orange does serve as an alert that another hunter is located beyond the target that he intends to shoot at and in the direct or indirect line of fire.
Being aware is better than not being aware that someone else is in the area.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:28 AM
Spike

what is the blaze orange requirement in colorado elk muzzleloader?
Old 07-12-2011, 04:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Blaze Orange is certainly an important and useful tool in safety during firearms and muzzle loader season. But let us all not forget about the importance of safe firearms handling. The rules we have all learned are what keeps us safe from each other AND OURSELVES.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I guess I'm somewhere in the middle. I think blaze orange is important. I also think some states go way overboard with it. I'd have to look back for sure but I believe Wyoming was 1 visible article of clothing. Most people were smart and took that to mean a shirt of vest. There were a few that would go out with just a hat. But you could still see them. The nice thing is it helped to point out the out-of-staters. They were the ones walking around in blaze from head to toe.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by andrewstj
what is the blaze orange requirement in colorado elk muzzleloader?
500 inches on the torso, and head.

To the thread:
For those who think the deer/elk are seeing the blaze orange. You could have brighteners on the vest. Wash it it the same non brightener soap you use on the rest of your hunting clothes.

You do wash your clothes with non brightener soap don't you?
Old 07-12-2011, 05:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have to chuckle at the hunting TV shows. They not only don't wear blaze orange, but they mount the antlers on their back.

"I'm sorry officer. I saw antlers, and though it was an elk."
Old 07-12-2011, 08:58 AM
Banned

Not me. My clothes just go into the wash without any detergent.

Im not a believer in all those scent stoppers/cover BS.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.